Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 8 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    N
    OP Offline
    N
    A couple of members, including me, posted on the 2nd quarter update thread that turning in homework is an issue. In high school, this seems to be a harder problem to handle than in earlier graders because the students are expected to be more independent. Teachers are happy to help, it seems, but very few are proactive about approaching the parent.

We are using a modified version of SOAR, I check the online grade book regularly, there is still an issue.

Whether your student has an IEP, 504, or nothing, how do you get your student to turn in homework in a timely manner? All suggestions considered, including bribery (not generally effective with my DS) and threats to remove activities, privileges, food, water, bed, etc.

If you engaged the teachers in this effort, how did that proceed?

I
    I
    This is covered from time to time, with planners or assignment notebooks often used, and also color coding by class (folder, notebook, ring binder, book cover) to help a student stay organized.

Some teachers will call for work to be turned in, other teachers expect work to be placed in a basket when a student enters the room and before the class bell rings, or posted electronically before class.

Some teachers will point out assignments and due dates for students to transcribe into their planners or assignment notebooks, other teachers expect students to notice assignments in the syllabus, posted online, passed out in class, or written on the board.

"Executive Function" is the term used for these organizational and planning skills. There are other threads and articles on this topic, also many books and resources if you do a web search such as "books executive function kid".

B
    B
    For the one class this is a big problem for my DS15, he now has a contract with the teacher. He has to go to the teacher once a week and get a form signed that states what he is missing and what is upcoming. This is partially only necessary because this teacher doesn't take advantage of our online system. This teacher is very disorganized and doesn't update to the homework portal for weeks. So the contract is as much for me to know what she has not updated, as for my son to learn how to deal with her. DS15 has a brand new 504 that mostly deals with giving him extra time or writing projects, but it also give him a some wiggle room for turning work in late under certain circumstances.

In general I check the online and discuss what homework needs to get done. If I find out homework hasn't gotten turned in DS has to DO THE HOMEWORK anyway even though he won't get a grade. And computer game time gets taken away.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Indigo, what you write is part of the problem, for student and for parent. Every class and teacher method is different.

We have the assignment notebook: he doesn't write in it at school, so I make him write in it when he gets home. What he remembers.

We have color coded pockets in the binder and coordinated folders at home.

Some work is done and turned in online, makes the folders ineffective for that assignment. And it makes the homework hard to monitor. I saw an essay on google docs, but the teacher did not. Is it in the wrong place? I don't know!

Today he made a conscious decision not to turn something in, a week late, because he isn't happy with it and wants to rewrite it.

In middle school we had the assignment notebook initialed by parent, student, and teachers (bless 'em!) and the little dear still got around it. I hate to ask high school teachers to do the same. Apparently, that is exactly what I have to do. I think I have to schedule some private conferences.

I
    I
    Every class and teacher method is different.
    This is reflective of the real world and managing multiple priorities such as sport, job/internship/volunteerism.

After looking at any possible executive function issues, you could try creating a system which helps him standardize the process of keeping track of assignments. For example, making a spreadsheet which is a scorecard or log of assignments, with columns for due dates, checkpoints (for breaking down a larger project into smaller more manageable chunks), format of assignment (paper, electronic, powerpoint, speech notecards, project, etc), date/time turned in for electronic assignments. Some families set aside a special time each day, maybe after dinner or over dessert, to talk about kiddo's day and review the scorecard, see if he needs any supplies, etc. Then sign or initial the scorecard like you signed the middle school form.

I saw an essay on google docs, but the teacher did not. Is it in the wrong place? I don't know!
    This is a great opportunity for self-advocacy: your son could review the assignment specifications, jot down the date/time he placed his essay on google docs, and verify to his satisfaction whether he met the requirements for turning in the assignment in the expected place, by the expect time. He could then ask the teacher about it.

he made a conscious decision not to turn something in, a week late, because he isn't happy with it and wants to rewrite it.
    There's a need to balance time and quality, both with assignments and in life. There are definite trade-offs. Not being happy with a work product can sometimes be a positive... by the time we complete something we've learned a lot and could already do a better job... or it could be a sign of perfectionism (which sometimes is combined with procrastination). There are threads about perfectionsim, including this old post just in case you find him manifesting other signs of being a perfectionst.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks, indigo, esp,for the thread link. Perfection is part of the issue, for sure. In fact, it is so severe he won't ask teachers for extensions or any extra help, even if he missed a class for legitimate reasons, for fear they will think him irresponsible or say " you're a smart kid, you should be able to do this" Yes, we have discussed that responsible actions would be to talk to the teacher, irresponsible is to hide. He is a smart kid, but he's not psychic, how could he possibly know what went on in class if he was out?

Bluemagic, we do the same thing with doing homework even if it won't be accepted. He can lose the computer as much as a week. I won't take away the piano, because we already paid for the semester. He lost jazz band this week because he didn't finish two assignments before rehearsal. He can't audition for plays if he has outstanding homework.

Good suggestions for reading, indigo. I have to read fast, because this week assignments weren't turned in or issues addressed four times, and the week isn't over yet. Reminder Notes on the lunch aren't working anymore. The English teacher and I are on 3 times a day emails now. The science teacher and I were, have to go back to it. They are vey patient, I hope they have a vast reservoir of it.

I
    I
    Sometimes it may be hardest on the parent, as we are the ones to see the potential for opportunities to slip away. Hang in there!

Has your child been tested for any potential executive function problems that may lead to an IEP/504, with an agreed-upon support plan in place? There are other threads discussing wrightslaw, 2e, IEP, 504, and the helpfulness of neuropsychologist evaluations to identify specific strengths & also weaknesses for which a child may be compensating. There are also articles on the Davidson database.

N
    OP Offline
    N
    Thanks again, indigo. Updates:
    we are now connected to all the online tools the school has to offer. Even DS didn't know the science homework was beautifully tucked in online,,as well as some answer keys!

I am keeping my own assignment notebook, believe it or not, with DS' assignments from the websites, and

when he comes home we go over his and mine, and I add to mine anything he was assigned verbally at school. We talk about his schedule and homework plan for the evening over a snack.

Over the snack I also ask about each assignment that was due that day. And I ask about overdue things he was supposed to turn in. AHA moment: this is very hard for him, because he has to actually place himself in front of the teacher and risk being told "you're late". This is the part that really makes me tear my hair out. At the risk of being a helicopter, I email the teacher of the "late work" and suggest that if DS doesn't turn it in the next day, to ask for it. So far they haven't banned my emails, and typically do ask.

I was,leaving him to,his own devices for AP chem and pre-calc, since they are out of my league. But today when he was having trouble with enthalpy, I googled it and found a khan academy video. He of course insisted he didn't get it 5 seconds in. I suggested he watch it all the way through, then again. 10 minutes later he came to tell me he got it, and could now go on to do the problems. Whew!

I'm reading his English class novel. In the past I'd already read them years ago, or just can't for some reason. But reading it fresh at the same time is fun, we talk about where we are and what's going on. And, I can't believe I never read this classic, it's enthralling.

He really doesn't want me to help with his world language, and it's a language I speak! We use it a bit at home for fun. But I guess he wants to keep it that way. Oh well, he's doing fine in it, so I'll just be sure he's keeping up with the assignments.

He has to wave his homework at me so I can see it is done. I have to see it in the binder in the morning.

We are slowly working on his binder and folders systems. He doesn't believe in them, which is why they weren't working before, but at least he is giving it a chance now. Over the weekend we will refine it.

I'm reading "That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week" and one helpful thought (among many) is to work on just a few new tools, tasks, techniques each week, adding on as you go. I hope by the break he will be caught up, with nothing to do but study for finals and start the AP prep.

I
    I
    Thank you for the update. I am so proud of you, scaffolding to support your kiddo.

Once in a while you may wish to say something along the lines of a reminder that the conversations he has with you about his work role model the internal conversations he'll begin to develop, until he is automatically self-checking his work, due-dates, etc. Then you may wish to agree about going two days between checking in... then three or four... then only weekly. Checking in weekly, plus being available to listen and advise whenever he may initiate coming to you, may be an appropriate amount of support ongoing.

If you did not already read up on executive function, organization, procrastination/perfection, 2e, IEP/504 you may wish to look into these a bit, to see if any of the information about those common topics may be of assistance to your kiddo now or in the future.

Congratulations to you and your child on this wonderful progress. smile

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM