Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    I just think this sort of thinking is a false dichtomy. The question isn't really even about money, and it CERTAINLY isn't about taking money AWAY from disabled kids. That's just not reality. It's a way to avoid talking about the real issues.

The honest truth is that some of the very best things that can be done for GT kids are free to the schools. The real issue is the way schools approach (or DON'T approach!) GT education, in a philosophical, systemic sense. That's not even about money.

Kriston
    Amen! (And I use the word advisedly! I think that's gospel truth you speak there, Dottie!)

Last edited by Kriston; 07/22/08 05:55 PM. Reason: Nor do I think there's any reason to go to special ed. for the argument, BTW. It is a red herring to the argument we really need to be making, which has ZERO to do with disabled kids.

Kriston
    Wow. I didn't mean to set off a fire storm by commenting on parents who bail on the school system. I truly respect all of the people who dedicate so much of their time, energy, and passion to teaching their child outside of the system. Please forgive any misunderstanding.

I was thinking about this all afternoon and wondered if our parents had any of the same discussions? Not many of us were homeschooled, were we? Somehow most of the people on this web site made it through the system without losing the light and joy that learning brings. It made me question whether the school system has changed over the last 30 years or so.

If I think back to the 50's and 60's (okay that is a little bit before my time... but not by much), as a country, we were focused on winning the space race to the moon and the cold war. We viewed all of our resources as vital to beating the Russians and chief among those resources was the education of our children. They literally believed that the country depended on the next generation of kids, and schools made sure that the kids were given all the tools they needed to contribute to the welfare of the country. It was a time of tremendous leaps in inventions and medical breakthroughs, where great emphasis was placed on science and math. But our schools were seen as the foundation for all of those advances. Does any of that sound like our current school system? I thought not.

My point is that if the schools could do it in the past, then they can do it now.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Our school system today is about bare minimums. They have succeeded in distilling out what is the bare minimum needed to pass tests, the bare minimum for the majority of the kids. And very little is left for the 1% or 2% of gifted kids. It is sad that so little is left that we have to argue over who deserves it more: a disabled kid or a gifted kid.

There has got to be a better way.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Not I my friend, not I. I have a public school horror story.

Twenty percent of high school drop outs are gifted.

Yes... I was going to put in a disclaimer about that... but I type so slowly, that you guys would be five pages ahead before I added that.

My brother, who is easily HG+, almost didn't graduate from high school. But we were in a tiny, Appalachian, back-water public school. I was hoping it was better elsewhere.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    Originally Posted by ebeth
    Wow. I didn't mean to set off a fire storm by commenting on parents who bail on the school system. I truly respect all of the people who dedicate so much of their time, energy, and passion to teaching their child outside of the system. Please forgive any misunderstanding.

Oh, of course you do! No misunderstanding whatsoever! I didn't take it as an attack in any way. We're good! smile

But you did hit on something that is commonly said to those of us who pull out of the schools. Seriously, I'm not kidding when I say that my own mother, the grandmother of my child, told me that she thought I was doing a disservice to the schools and to GT kids by pulling him out. It's a common view. And, frankly, it's one I understand and sympathize with. I'm not at all upset with you.

But I think it hits at the heart of some very important issues, ones that I personally have been wrestling with. What do the schools owe HG+ kids? What do we have the right to ask for? How much effort should we be required to put into the schools, and for what amount of result back from the schools?

These are big, important questions. It's a good discussion. It matters. If we can't define these for ourselves, then how can we define them--argue persuasively for them!--with the schools?

I do think the system has changed. Grouping used to be better and more common. There seemed to be a greater respect for individual abilities and less concern about "stick with your age group or else." I personally knew several kids who were grade skipped when I was a kid. I know only one personally in my hometown. The whole town!

Things ARE different. And I see them getting worse, not better. I'm not sure where I fit in the scheme of things, but I know that I had to get my child out of that toxic environment. That was the only thing I was sure of. Everything else, I'm still trying to figure out.

You did fine, ebeth! Promise! smile

Kriston
    You know, I just glanced over at new members and saw the screen name hopefulinoregon. I think my recent posts could be a little discouraging to newbies, so I'm gonna go back and delete mine. Hope no one is offended.
    Don't want hopeful to come back hopeless. smile

Kriston... I'm not upset with the people who pull their kids out. I respect that. I'm mad at the system that drove you out.

Big difference.

Mom to DS12 and DD3
    ooops too late blush

For the record: I ALWAYS agree with Dottie!!!

I worry about that, too, 'Neato. In fact, Dottie and I had a PM conversation about this exact topic not long ago that we kept a PM because I don't want to discourage people.

Where I stand: my heart is optimistic, but my head is pure pessimism. I don't like it. But that's where I am right now.

I understand your deleting posts, but I don't know whether it's the right thing to do or not. I think this is an important conversation.

Kriston
    Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM