Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 239 guests, and 35 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #20600 07/19/08 09:35 AM
    S
    squirt Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    Does anyone know a resource where I could buy these books more cheaply? They run anywhere from $30 - $90 from what I've found online. I'd like to get the Algebra book first but I'd like not to have to pay a small fortune for it. Any ideas? I've checked Abe Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble Used books. Thanks.

The algebra books are $29 each from the publisher at polkadotpublishing.com with free shipping. I would imagine used ones would be much cheaper.

Squirt, have you researched the Life of Fred books? You probably have but some HSers are bothered by some of the social content contained in the books. I think the newer ones have had some of the more questionable content removed so I don't know if you want to keep that in consideration especially if buying used, older editions.

Hi Dazed&Confuzed,

We have the life of Fred books and really like them. We have the new versions, but I am wondering what you are referring to? Maybe I am just naive, but I didn't find any questionable content.

I hadn't heard about questionable content either. Could you please explain, Dazey? I definitely want to know if there's something to watch for!

Kriston
    There have been several threads at WTM discussing this. I'm certain it's Life of Fred. The one I recall was an allusion to smoking *grass* and another about drinking alcohol. I think for the intended age ranges it's not a big deal unless you're very sensitive about such matters but for kids on this board who are years ahead of grade level, it might be content you don't want to address or perhaps it is. Or perhaps it will just go over the heads of the younger kids. ANyhow, I'm not sure how much of the hoopla is from the older additions or the new one. You might try searching at WTM for the threads. There was a blog that outlined many of the questionable pages but I *think* that pertained to the older, pre-santizied version.

I'm trying to remember the grass one. I think it was something like "while you were out studying math, your buddies were out smoking grass..." It doesn't sound too bad to me, but everyone has their thing they are uptight about lol. I just wanted to you know. Some of the very religious types at WTM refuse to use it.

Last edited by Dazed&Confuzed; 07/19/08 12:33 PM.
    Val Offline
    Here's a link to the opening pages of the algebra book:

Life of Fred Algebra

Val

We purchase direct from the author at www.fredgauss.com

Any issues for you with content, Lorel? I think you're the only person I knw who's currently using the Fred books, so I'd love to hear your take.

Thanks for the head's up, Dazey! I appreciate it!

Kriston
    Ugh I didn't mean "religious types" in a negative way so I hope no one takes offense.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM