Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: squirt "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 04:35 PM
Does anyone know a resource where I could buy these books more cheaply? They run anywhere from $30 - $90 from what I've found online. I'd like to get the Algebra book first but I'd like not to have to pay a small fortune for it. Any ideas? I've checked Abe Books, Amazon, and Barnes and Noble Used books. Thanks.
Posted By: bianc850a Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 04:55 PM
The algebra books are $29 each from the publisher at polkadotpublishing.com with free shipping. I would imagine used ones would be much cheaper.
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 06:16 PM
Squirt, have you researched the Life of Fred books? You probably have but some HSers are bothered by some of the social content contained in the books. I think the newer ones have had some of the more questionable content removed so I don't know if you want to keep that in consideration especially if buying used, older editions.
Posted By: bianc850a Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 06:35 PM
Hi Dazed&Confuzed,

We have the life of Fred books and really like them. We have the new versions, but I am wondering what you are referring to? Maybe I am just naive, but I didn't find any questionable content.
Posted By: Kriston Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 07:21 PM
I hadn't heard about questionable content either. Could you please explain, Dazey? I definitely want to know if there's something to watch for!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 07:29 PM
There have been several threads at WTM discussing this. I'm certain it's Life of Fred. The one I recall was an allusion to smoking *grass* and another about drinking alcohol. I think for the intended age ranges it's not a big deal unless you're very sensitive about such matters but for kids on this board who are years ahead of grade level, it might be content you don't want to address or perhaps it is. Or perhaps it will just go over the heads of the younger kids. ANyhow, I'm not sure how much of the hoopla is from the older additions or the new one. You might try searching at WTM for the threads. There was a blog that outlined many of the questionable pages but I *think* that pertained to the older, pre-santizied version.

I'm trying to remember the grass one. I think it was something like "while you were out studying math, your buddies were out smoking grass..." It doesn't sound too bad to me, but everyone has their thing they are uptight about lol. I just wanted to you know. Some of the very religious types at WTM refuse to use it.
Posted By: Val Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 07:29 PM
Here's a link to the opening pages of the algebra book:

Life of Fred Algebra

Val

Posted By: Lorel Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 07:54 PM
We purchase direct from the author at www.fredgauss.com

Posted By: Kriston Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 09:27 PM
Any issues for you with content, Lorel? I think you're the only person I knw who's currently using the Fred books, so I'd love to hear your take.

Thanks for the head's up, Dazey! I appreciate it!
Posted By: Dazed&Confuzed Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/19/08 09:50 PM
Ugh I didn't mean "religious types" in a negative way so I hope no one takes offense.
Posted By: Lorel Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/20/08 01:45 PM
I'll be honest- I haven't read all of the Fred stories. From what I understand though, there are a few references to characters getting drunk and something about funny white powder... stuff that my kids pretty much ignore. The stories that go along with the problems are silly and have all kinds of strange things happening. My kids don't watch the Simpsons tv show, but I used to, and I don't think there is anything in LOF that is worse.
Posted By: Kriston Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/20/08 01:53 PM
Thanks, Lorel! smile
Posted By: LMom Re: "Life of Fred" math books - 07/20/08 03:51 PM
Originally Posted by gratified3
This is my method of "hothousing" . . . . I read about cool resources online and if I read enough about them, I order them and say something like "you may like this" and that's it.

LOL. If this is hothousing then I am in big trouble wink I do exactly the same thing.

We have the first LOF book and I think it's great. It's not a complete curriculum and I would never use it as such but it's fun and engaging. We did a few chapters and then we stopped but it may be time to try it again since DS5 just got into math story books and that's all he wants to read right now.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum