Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    DD12 with dyslexia/dysgraphia/ADHD really hates math. She struggles with remembering basic addition and multiplication, even though she completely understands complicated concepts. She spent an entire year with a tutor in elementary school just trying to learn her multiplications... No luck.

I've been reading about right-brained learning concepts and came across silly multiplication flash cards that were quite expensive (plus $16 just to ship to The Great White North). I also found flash cards that used a triangle as a visual to help with multiplication and division. Cheap me, I made a set of my own dorky multiplication 'story' cards, using the Doodle Buddy app, and included a factor triangle. I gave them to DD and had her make up a silly story and repeat it out loud while taking a mental picture of the factor triangle.

10 minutes. 8 times tables memorized. Done.

I do wish that I could show you a picture of how dorky they are. Who knew that an 8 foot anaconda dreaming about 9 different ways to roast a toucan over a rogue 72 degree Celsius rainforest bonfire was the ticket? Take home message: using visual and verbal strengths is much cheaper than a tutor.

Last edited by kathleen'smum; 11/16/14 06:15 PM.

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    P
    P
    Wow - you must be thrilled to see such success after such a struggle! That's really wonderful.

With a DD sounding similar in so many respects, I would love to know more about the cards you found that worked so well. I'd be deeply grateful for anything you can share with respect to the materials you used - please pm if that's a preferred was to pass on.

B
    B
    I would love more information as well.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM