Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
DD12 with dyslexia/dysgraphia/ADHD really hates math. She struggles with remembering basic addition and multiplication, even though she completely understands complicated concepts. She spent an entire year with a tutor in elementary school just trying to learn her multiplications... No luck.

I've been reading about right-brained learning concepts and came across silly multiplication flash cards that were quite expensive (plus $16 just to ship to The Great White North). I also found flash cards that used a triangle as a visual to help with multiplication and division. Cheap me, I made a set of my own dorky multiplication 'story' cards, using the Doodle Buddy app, and included a factor triangle. I gave them to DD and had her make up a silly story and repeat it out loud while taking a mental picture of the factor triangle.

10 minutes. 8 times tables memorized. Done.

I do wish that I could show you a picture of how dorky they are. Who knew that an 8 foot anaconda dreaming about 9 different ways to roast a toucan over a rogue 72 degree Celsius rainforest bonfire was the ticket? Take home message: using visual and verbal strengths is much cheaper than a tutor.

Wow - you must be thrilled to see such success after such a struggle! That's really wonderful.

With a DD sounding similar in so many respects, I would love to know more about the cards you found that worked so well. I'd be deeply grateful for anything you can share with respect to the materials you used - please pm if that's a preferred was to pass on.
I would love more information as well.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum