Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    We are looking for some suggestions on resources and ideas to foster a newly developed interest in creative writing for our DS5.

After enjoying a handful of Great Illustrated Classics earlier this summer, he decided, unprompted and totally unassisted, to start writing(or should I say typing) his own novel. He has actually started two different novels and has completed a few chapters in both.

His work is extremely sophisticated for his age and he loves to do it.

Any ideas to foster this talent would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
    Zia's Mom

I would read on Julie Bogart's site http://www.bravewriter.com/blog2/ I also have the book from Prufrock Press - "how to encourage young gifted writers." I could look in there and write a few tidbits if you like.

DD9 has written a few short stories, and I've just let her type or write when she's interested. At times, she started a bit too ambitious and did not finish them so we tried to scale back so she could have a finished product. Last year, she began asking questions about how to structure a story (plot, characters etc.) and we got some books from the library. I can't remember any specific ones, but we took advice a little from each of them. I would check your local library for any resources.

Also, DD had a wonderful 2nd grade teacher, who got her a "special" poetry journal. When she was done with an assignment early, she got to write poetry. At the end of the year, her teacher presented the book to me. It was so precious.

If I come across any of the books we used, I will let you know.

Z
    OP Offline
    Z
    Thanks!

Maybe writing contests or magazine submissions? As they require a finished product, it takes more than just messing around with writing. For young writers, creating something polished can be a good goal sometimes.

(Not always, obviously. Don't quash the love of writing or anything! eek)

Kriston
    Start and maintain a journal where he writes down his observations and thoughts for the day. A good structure is to start with sounds and dialogue he heard, what he saw, people he met, then his thoughts. A good journal will be the basis for material for many books and articles.

Synopsize books he reads listing characters, who they are - the plot, what he liked and did not like about the book. Then, once a month, review his synopses and write an essay on 2 or three of them comparing the works.

Plant the idea that a good work is PLANNED like a house - the plan, then the framing, then the rest of the house. The actual part of writing should allow him to focus on the prose with the scaffold he built - characters, conflicts, accidents, setting, chapters - already planned.

Keep files for each story effort that is not complete. I keep files for each of my general efforts and if I think of something or run across something germane to the topic or story, I insert it into the file. Thia allows me to build up material - character sketches, plot devices, prose - so that I build a critical mass over time. There is no reason to pull the trigger on a good idea until it is surrounded by good ideas. I also keep a general file where I toss stuff that is interesting but which does not fit in.

Here is a wonderful essay by Jerry Pournelle on "How to Get My Job."

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/slowchange/myjob.html

Another idea is to get some bios of famous Authors. Obviously, Henry Miller is out, but Steinbeck is interesting and mostly safe. Darwin led an interesting life as well.

Last edited by Austin; 07/29/08 09:07 AM.
    Thank you for the tips Austin. My dd just finished reading the Red Pony and she now wants to write her own book. Maybe we will start with the journal!!

Journals work great for some people. Personally, I always hated them.

Notes for future projects are necessary, writing something every single day is a requirement, practice listening to the way people really speak is important, practice observing and describing the world is vital. But I always felt too self-conscious and unnatural about what I was doing when I kept a journal.

I am unusual in that among writers, though, I think. <shrug>

Just another point of view...

Kriston
    Extemporanous story telling is fun as well. Make up a few dozen flash cards of the same size with nouns and adjectives and put them in a jar. Pull out five. Then make up a story about them!!

I am with you on that Kriston. I would be afraid to die suddenly and have someone find it and read things they were meant to be secret.... eek

A journal to describe nature, ideas, experiences that you can then translate into a short story would be great if it helped her with descriptive writing. Right now she mostly writes poems. She is actually pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM