Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: Zia's Mom Ideas to enhance creative writing interest - 07/19/08 10:23 AM
We are looking for some suggestions on resources and ideas to foster a newly developed interest in creative writing for our DS5.

After enjoying a handful of Great Illustrated Classics earlier this summer, he decided, unprompted and totally unassisted, to start writing(or should I say typing) his own novel. He has actually started two different novels and has completed a few chapters in both.

His work is extremely sophisticated for his age and he loves to do it.

Any ideas to foster this talent would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Zia's Mom
I would read on Julie Bogart's site http://www.bravewriter.com/blog2/ I also have the book from Prufrock Press - "how to encourage young gifted writers." I could look in there and write a few tidbits if you like.
DD9 has written a few short stories, and I've just let her type or write when she's interested. At times, she started a bit too ambitious and did not finish them so we tried to scale back so she could have a finished product. Last year, she began asking questions about how to structure a story (plot, characters etc.) and we got some books from the library. I can't remember any specific ones, but we took advice a little from each of them. I would check your local library for any resources.

Also, DD had a wonderful 2nd grade teacher, who got her a "special" poetry journal. When she was done with an assignment early, she got to write poetry. At the end of the year, her teacher presented the book to me. It was so precious.

If I come across any of the books we used, I will let you know.
Thanks!
Maybe writing contests or magazine submissions? As they require a finished product, it takes more than just messing around with writing. For young writers, creating something polished can be a good goal sometimes.

(Not always, obviously. Don't quash the love of writing or anything! eek)
Start and maintain a journal where he writes down his observations and thoughts for the day. A good structure is to start with sounds and dialogue he heard, what he saw, people he met, then his thoughts. A good journal will be the basis for material for many books and articles.

Synopsize books he reads listing characters, who they are - the plot, what he liked and did not like about the book. Then, once a month, review his synopses and write an essay on 2 or three of them comparing the works.

Plant the idea that a good work is PLANNED like a house - the plan, then the framing, then the rest of the house. The actual part of writing should allow him to focus on the prose with the scaffold he built - characters, conflicts, accidents, setting, chapters - already planned.

Keep files for each story effort that is not complete. I keep files for each of my general efforts and if I think of something or run across something germane to the topic or story, I insert it into the file. Thia allows me to build up material - character sketches, plot devices, prose - so that I build a critical mass over time. There is no reason to pull the trigger on a good idea until it is surrounded by good ideas. I also keep a general file where I toss stuff that is interesting but which does not fit in.

Here is a wonderful essay by Jerry Pournelle on "How to Get My Job."

http://www.jerrypournelle.com/slowchange/myjob.html

Another idea is to get some bios of famous Authors. Obviously, Henry Miller is out, but Steinbeck is interesting and mostly safe. Darwin led an interesting life as well.
Thank you for the tips Austin. My dd just finished reading the Red Pony and she now wants to write her own book. Maybe we will start with the journal!!
Journals work great for some people. Personally, I always hated them.

Notes for future projects are necessary, writing something every single day is a requirement, practice listening to the way people really speak is important, practice observing and describing the world is vital. But I always felt too self-conscious and unnatural about what I was doing when I kept a journal.

I am unusual in that among writers, though, I think. <shrug>

Just another point of view...
Extemporanous story telling is fun as well. Make up a few dozen flash cards of the same size with nouns and adjectives and put them in a jar. Pull out five. Then make up a story about them!!

I am with you on that Kriston. I would be afraid to die suddenly and have someone find it and read things they were meant to be secret.... eek

A journal to describe nature, ideas, experiences that you can then translate into a short story would be great if it helped her with descriptive writing. Right now she mostly writes poems. She is actually pretty good.
I love your ideas Austin, thanks!

We use the file folder system for writing. DD8 has several ongoing open-ended writing projects.
Our neighbor got her a very cute and stylish box with hanging file folders from Target. What do you call those things? I guess a file folder holder? blush
It's practical and looks cute in her room!

I don't think DD6 is ready for long term projects like that, but we'll be getting her a file folder holder in the near future.
FWIW, I'm a writer but I never thought of myself as a creative person.

OTOH, for as long as I can remember I have been a voracious reader and a dedicated student of literature. I adore stories! I see life in terms of narrative.

I never really liked those touchy-feely creative writing games. That's just not my style, and frankly, that stuff turned me off writing for years. Again, some people adore them, and more power to them! But there are ways to write without writing like that.

My background is in research and education, and I am a very analytical person. I like to learn things and teach them to people. Consequently, I like to write historical fiction. Probably the biggest thing that led me to writing was a passionate curiosity about people in the past and a desire to hear those people speak to me. I like to give a voice to history. That's a very different sort of calling than, say, poetry or adventure novels. Doing what I do, I don't have to think of myself as creative!

I do still have to observe, analyze, plan and construct though. I have to be able to describe how a spring day in Iceland smells, even if I've never smelled it.

If a child wants to write a novel, I'd ask what stories interest her and why.

I'd tear apart plots with her and put them back together so she knows what makes them tick.

I'd talk about psychology and encourage her to see the motivation behind people's actions: he didn't steal because he's evil, he stole because he thought the company owed him something. Note that people are not all-good or all-bad, but are justified in their actions in their own minds and are the stars of their own life-movies, even if they're just bit-players in yours.

I'd record dialogue around the house so that she hears how rarely people actually talk directly to one another, asking instead talking across one another or around one another.

And I'd encourage her to pay attention to her senses and describe what she perceives as specifically as she can.

Observe. Identify. Discuss. Repeat.

But mostly, I'd encourage a child who wants to be a writer to read. Read good stuff, read advertising copy, read classics, read junk. Soak it all in. When you have something to say, a real story to tell, the words will come. At least they did for me.

Oh, and the best advice I found when I decided to be a writer:

Writers write. Every day.

You can think about writing, talk about writing, read about writing...that's all fine and dandy. But in the end, unless you write, you're not a writer.

That kept me going in the face of many a blank page! smile

And that's pretty much everything I know (or think I know) about writing!

...Well, that and don't treat your words OR ideas as precious or sacred. You'll make more! You have to be willing to chop stuff up, tear it apart, throw it out, and do it all again if you want to make something worth reading.
DS9 belongs to http://teacher.scholastic.com/writeit/. He has written/directed and edited two short films as part of the 48hourfilm.com project and is currently writing a feature film about religious persecution.
I would definitely find a site for registering his work as he goes. I will try to find one and post for novels, with screenplays strongly recommend the WGA.org site (Writer's Guild of America) I do not think it has an option for novels but you could check.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum