Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    G
    OP Offline
    G
    Question - we are waiting for the 504 to be implemented so the new teacher has no idea that DD9 was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive. How do I bring this subject up with a teacher so she doesn't look at my child as a "problem child"? DD9 is SSA and AIG, but I am worried that once the teacher knows she has a LD she will think DD isn't capable of advanced work. Or are teachers so used to ADHD that I am overworrying?

B
    B
    I can see why parents might want to withhold this information, but if you are looking at a 504 plan, I think you need to share it so that the school can make appropriate accommodations. One thing you can do is have your DD start and then after she's been there for a few days or a week (and the teacher gets to know her), THEN share the information. That way she/he is not unfairly biased before getting to know her. To be honest, DD's teachers who have known haven't seemed to put much thought into it, but when they did I think it was helpful because then I had an explanation for why she would space out and was slow. Otherwise they probably would have viewed it as a behavior problem. One long-term sub knew about the ADHD but STILL viewed it primarily as a behavior problem and was constantly trying to "fix" her. I can't imagine what the teacher would have been like without the info. Probably a lot worse.

I
    I
    Originally Posted by greenlotus
    we are waiting for the 504 to be implemented so the new teacher has no idea that DD9 was diagnosed with ADHD inattentive.
    This sounds amiss, something may be missing. If the school is not aware that your child has ADHD inattentive (or ADD as described in a previous thread), what is the child's 504 based on?

How do I bring this subject up with a teacher so she doesn't look at my child as a "problem child"?
    The previous post mentions the child forgetting things immediately after being told, and losing homework... these behaviors are problematic and do not serve the child well. If a school understands there is a brain based reason for the problematic behaviors, they may begin to coach the child in learning and practicing specific techniques to compensate, and grow necessary skills.

DD9 is SSA and AIG, but I am worried that once the teacher knows she has a LD she will think DD isn't capable of advanced work.
    Your child being single subject accelerated and identified as academically/intellectually gifted may be indicators of a responsive school system.

Or are teachers so used to ADHD that I am overworrying?
    Some teachers may be familiar with ADHD, some may not. Parents becoming familiar with resources such as wrightslaw and NCLD may be helpful for any future advocacy.

MoN says what I'd recommend. As long as you have a 504 eligibility finding in hand, then I wouldn't withhold the information.

The only reason to do so IMHO is to prevent administrators/teachers from making end runs around eligibility if they suspect that some accommodations will be inconvenient, unpopular, or expensive and they are likely to deny eligibility so that they don't HAVE to do them.

Don't ask how I know that one. whistle Long story, let's just say-- but that's the ONLY reason why I can think that there is reason to withhold information related to possible accommodations needed.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    KJP Offline
    K
    If you can, try to attend one of the Wrightslaw trainings. The schedule is on their homepage. You get several books with the cost of registration and Pete Wright there talking and answering questions.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    "I can see why parents might want to withhold this information, but if you are looking at a 504 plan, I think you need to share it so that the school can make appropriate accommodations. One thing you can do is have your DD start and then after she's been there for a few days or a week (and the teacher gets to know her), THEN share the information. That way she/he is not unfairly biased before getting to know her."

Good idea. We are meeting with the psych. next week to work on accommodation ideas that we can present to the school as we work through the 504 process. Sorry if I led all to believe the 504 was in place. It's just getting started.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    Indigo says : The previous post mentions the child forgetting things immediately after being told, and losing homework... these behaviors are problematic and do not serve the child well. If a school understands there is a brain based reason for the problematic behaviors, they may begin to coach the child in learning and practicing specific techniques to compensate, and grow necessary skills.

This is what we want – skills for our DD!! I just wasn’t sure when to present the info to the teacher and then find out she is biased against DD because of a label. Master of None mentioned having her old teacher who knew her talk to the current teacher. I think that’s a great idea because last year’s very sweet and supportive teacher was very aware of DD’s gifts and quirkiness!! I will still hold off awhile and let the new teacher get to know my daughter for awhile.
    Yuck. I get to be “that parent” this year though. We, along with the psychologist, will really be pushing for more educational accommodations for DD AND dealing with the 2E aspect for the first time. DD is so unhappy at this school – we either need to fix it or find a better school.
    I will be checking out these Wrightslaw trainings. I've been on their website.

A
    aeh Offline
    A
    Do you have a documented disability already? I would definitely have all your ducks in a row with regard to documentation of disability, and the accommodations that your private psych thinks will be most appropriate (rank them in order of importance/impact, too), prior to speaking to the school officially.

I would also second giving the teacher a week to make her own assessment of the class. In addition to not skewing her perceptions, it also gives the teacher a chance to take a breath first, which is always helpful in eliciting cooperation/collaboration.

But overall, I would ask, on behalf of all of my colleagues of goodwill and (dare I say) competence (I can't speak for the other ones), please do not withhold vital and relevant information about your child for unreasonable periods of time. From my experience, when the system finally gets the report, six months or a year down the road, often accompanied by demands that the child's academic or behavioral struggles be fixed immediately, the fact that this information was known to the parents but not shared with the school is most definitely not conducive to a collaborative relationship.

You don't have to speak to the classroom teacher about a disability first. If you are winding your way through the 504 process, the person to speak with would be the 504 administrator, anyway. Teachers don't necessarily need to know specific disabilities. They just need to know the accommodations that the 504 team decides on.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...
    B
    B
    I have usually let the teachers spend a week or two with my child before I approach them. I do think you need to talk with the teacher about it. But my experience is many teachers are so busy getting to know their new students in the first week that this information can go in one ear and out the other. When you bring it up, perhaps it would work better to explain that your DD is 2E thus emphasizing the gifted with ADHD and the challenges. And if the teacher doesn't understand the label, you can education them.

I have to think about this issue myself. But as I'm dealing with H.S. there are 5 teachers to communicate with it's a bit more complicated than a inattentive ADHD diagnosis. Plus I'm sitting on pins & needles waiting for the full report that I'm expecting to get anytime now.

G
    OP Offline
    G
    I am waiting!! I will give the poor teacher a break before "educating" her. Although we had our first forgetful incident this morning, the second morning of school, sigh. DD told me, in front of the teacher, that I forgot the book. The teacher, gently, said it was her responsibility. Ha! I knew that it was just the first of a thousand incidents of forgetfulness that would occur. Also, DD is in a magnet school and has AIG and SSA, so like middle or high school, DD has numerous classrooms and teachers. I am realizing that this is going to be even more tricky than I realized!! In fact, her homeroom teacher forget to send her to her 5th grade math class yesterday. I talked to both teachers this morning to make sure that she gets to the right class today.
    I think that I will pull together 2E information for the teacher vs. just going at it as an ADHD info session. Good idea.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM