Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 309 guests, and 12 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    Ha. I actually just asked him about What's Missing. Obviously I don't want to disclose it, but the last item, which he said he didn't know (so, a discontinue that he got wrong) is an item he has no familiarity with at all due to family choices and preferences. I'd bet anything my daughter also got this one wrong, though surely most kids would get it right. Just a reminder that the test is not completely culture-neutral!

T
    T
    I bet a steady diet of Disney movies and fairy tales would have helped.
    Pictures DS, five at the time, was thrown by in his school readiness test, where it was in the room:
    Dwarf
    Gnome
    Princess
    Witch

And, not a cultural issue, but my favourite, because it makes you wonder just what the people who design these tests arts thinking:

Tell, at a glance, how many red apples in a green tree.

Um, I did mention just minutes ago, he's colourblind, didn't i? You made a note of it right there. You are aware, of course, that this might be a concern for up to ten percent of the male population, all of which will have trouble even identifying those red apples in that green tree, let alone be able to say how many the are at a glance?

And the most embarrassing one he simply couldn't think if an answer to, for Cognitive testing for an ASD eval, age four:

Why do we have to wash every day?

I wasn't in the room for that one, so I wasn't compelled to explain, um, we do wash, at least the grown ups do, but it's winter, and he's got reactive airways, and whenever we bathe or shower him in winter' he invariably comes down with obstructive bronchitis no matter how careful we are about heat and hats and drafts, so, except for hand washing, well...he probably couldn't even remember when he last had a wash. (We finally got rid of that problem by leaving out the expensive Weleda bath oils with essential oils and just used cheap soap...)

Tricky business, that test design thing.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM