Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    I
    Ivy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Well, the school isn't limiting her really. In fact they are awesomely flexible. But it makes sense that a high school class may include material that's not appropriate for an 11 year old. If she joins the class and reads something else, she's still getting exposed to the discussion. This is stuff that she has strongly indicated she wants to stay well away from.

So this is the solution for now. I think my frustration is more that our situation is so different that it's a constant series of Hobson's choices without anyone to really talk to.

N
    N
    Sorry, I was responding to Ellipses' comment. Ivy, best of luck with whatever you do. I think I sometimes have trouble understanding what others are going through - when I mentioned that middle kid had a graduate Lexile level in 8th grade, I didn't mean to imply that she was the only kid in her school like that. She knows a number of other kids at or above her level.

The only reason we had our older two IQ tested was to get them into a combined English/Social Studies course (automatic entry if you are labeled gifted). This is the one class where the teachers can really meet the kid at his/her level. The teachers meet with each kid individually once each quarter to set writing goals. They focus on a particular aspect of their writing - could be different for every kid - and the teachers expect the writing to improve. Doesn't matter if the kid writes at grade level or at college level because each kid strives to meet their own goal. Sounds like more schools could benefit from a course like this.

I
    Ivy Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Sorry for making confusion NotSoGIfted, I missed that previous post.

Whether they are few or many, students reading above grade level all have the same issue -- appropriate challenge coupled with content that's emotionally too mature. I admit when DD was younger I was dismissive of these concerns... now I have a better understanding of the kind of content that YA books have "nowadays" (get off my lawn, you kids).

The English/Social Studies class sounds amazing and I agree that more kids should have opportunities like that.

T
    T
    Originally Posted by NotSoGifted
    Sorry, I was responding to Ellipses' comment. Ivy, best of luck with whatever you do. I think I sometimes have trouble understanding what others are going through - when I mentioned that middle kid had a graduate Lexile level in 8th grade, I didn't mean to imply that she was the only kid in her school like that. She knows a number of other kids at or above her level.

The only reason we had our older two IQ tested was to get them into a combined English/Social Studies course (automatic entry if you are labeled gifted). This is the one class where the teachers can really meet the kid at his/her level. The teachers meet with each kid individually once each quarter to set writing goals. They focus on a particular aspect of their writing - could be different for every kid - and the teachers expect the writing to improve. Doesn't matter if the kid writes at grade level or at college level because each kid strives to meet their own goal. Sounds like more schools could benefit from a course like this.

FTFY wink

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM