Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    seablue- No it was not the OLSAT, the OLSAT is an achievement test, not an IQ test. He had taken the OLSAT last year and only got an 81. He was advanced in all areas, but not enough for GATE. However, I didn't expect that he would do great on that, the OLSAT catches all the high achievers, the bright kids, plus the gifted kids who are working above grade. It doesn't catch all gifted kids, and it doesn't qualify you for the Highly Gifted schools (only the Intellectual assessment, i.e. IQ test, does that).

He took some kind of IQ test that was likely either the Raven or the NNAT (both IQ tests). I called the GATE office yesterday (they just got back) and they supposedly were going to mail me out the breakdown etc. the same day. I just realized I should check to make sure they sent me everything..for all I know they didn't reread my fax and will just send me the percentile (which I already know).

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    ...and just called them and they only sent out the percentile. Nice lady I talked to said she will have someone send me out the raw scores, but that's all they can do as that's all the info they have. Hopefully they will have time to send them today, in which case I will update this thread tomorrow or Monday when I get it.

P
    P
    LAF, was your ds' WISC testing done privately? If so, does the private psych have any insight or advice re the possibility of appealing to the school district?

polarbear

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Hi Polarbear-

Nice GATE office lady actually gave me advice about appealing, but I don't know how much of it is lip service (although she seemed sincere). She said that it's not a done deal that they never allow retests, but DS's teacher and the principal have to get behind the appeal. I can also use his other results from the WISC IV as the basis for an appeal. I also have to check and see if our GATE coordinator passed along any of the information I gave to her regarding DS (re: slow processing, inattentive and anxiety) - this information should have been passed on to the psychologist by the GATE coordinator even if he doesn't have an actual 504 or IEP.

With regard to the private assessor, she had no real advice about appealing, instead she suggested that GATE wasn't all it was cracked up to be (a lot of their funds have been cut, for instance), and that I should look elsewhere. Specifically I should try and get him through public school for elementary then check into private schools that would be a good fit in middle and HS and she suggested some schools.

P
    P
    It sounds like you've gotten great advice LAF - but I wouldn't give up on the GATE appeal. We're not in CA, but we have a similar situation with our gifted options in public school in elementary where we are (and we also had to appeal - maybe I should say scream? - to get our ds included in the program). It really wasn't anything that ever would have made any kind of difference in terms of actual academics but it made a huge difference in ds' life in that he loved just being with the group of higher ability kids - even though it wasn't a group of EG kiddos. Might not be the same type of situation in CA, but otoh, it might be worth an appeal.

One thing that's also most likely important to look into - getting 504 accommodations for the slow processing if it's impacting him in getting his work completed, both on homework, class assignments, and testing. It's possible that's where he was hit when he took the IQ test if any portion of it was timed (same thing with the OLSAT) - I don't honestly know if those tests have timed portions, but eventually he will run head on into most likely achievement tests that are timed by the time he's in upper elementary if not earlier. Likewise work that may be taking him a little bit longer than his peers now is going to morph into a larger time sink once he hits middle school. It's good to get the accommodations in place now, while you have a relatively recent eval noting the issues.

Best wishes,

polarbear

B
    B
    Originally Posted by LAF
    With regard to the private assessor, she had no real advice about appealing, instead she suggested that GATE wasn't all it was cracked up to be (a lot of their funds have been cut, for instance), and that I should look elsewhere. Specifically I should try and get him through public school for elementary then check into private schools that would be a good fit in middle and HS and she suggested some schools.
    I am curious what schools she suggested. Did she mention Bridges? It's a 2E school in Culver City that sounds promising (excpet for it's price tag). DS's psyc said it would be a good fit for my son. I have been trying to find out more info about it. I might go to one of the fall open houses. Problem is I'm in S. Cal but not LA and it's really a NASTY commute from where I live.

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    No, but I have a friend whose child goes there. I know he has ADD but I wasn't aware he was gifted (but she's pretty smart so no surprise). I can ask her what her experience has been if you'd like.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by LAF
    No, but I have a friend whose child goes there. I know he has ADD but I wasn't aware he was gifted (but she's pretty smart so no surprise). I can ask her what her experience has been if you'd like.
    It calls itself a 2E (twice-exceptional) school. So I would have thought that you would need to be gifted. That is the kind of information I'm interested in. So yes.. if you don't mind asking I would love to hear what they like about it.

Bridges is a middle school I believe. There are two campuses, the other is in Studio City in the Valley.

LAF, I am very curious about how you are going to proceed, because we are a couple months behind you in the process. We are going to look into the two elementary schools that require the LAUSD-administered IQ test, Eagle Rock and San Jose Elementary. Are you looking at these programs, as well as your school's GATE program? I have the contact information for the coordinator at the high IQ programs - PM me if you want me to share that because that person was very helpful, as was the LAUSD school psychologist I spoke with on the phone.

I imagine our DD7's achievement test scores will be quite different from her WISC-IV results (which were very much like your DS's) because her reading skills are comparatively low (possible reading disability + dysgraphia).

LAF Offline OP
    OP Offline
    It is a middle school. I have a call into my friend.

Seablue, I'm not sure how I'm going to proceed. My DS9 is okay (well he's got a friend and wants to stay) at the school he is currently in so I just advocated for a teacher I think might be a good fit. I am going to PM you, as I would like to get the info from you smile

I am STILL waiting for the raw scores from the GATE office- they said they mailed it out on Friday, but it shouldn't take this long to get to me but I don't want to keep badgering them. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and if it doesn't come in tomorrow's mail I will call them again.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM