Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 259 guests, and 15 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    #187932 04/11/14 01:05 AM
    I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    The Common Core website has been updated, and no longer states that CCSS are "internationally benchmarked". Rather it now states that CCSS are "Informed by other top-performing countries to prepare all students for success in our global economy and society". The names of the countries are not provided.

The math page describes math through grade 8, and high school math expectations are not listed.

Addressing high school expectations, R. James Milgram and Sandra Stotsky authored a paper in Sept 2013, Lowering the Bar: How Common Math Fails to Prepare Students for STEM. Milgram and Stotsky are two of the committee members who did not sign off on common core.

The Common Core website lists a set of facts/myths, about which some have said each myth is a straw man.

A different set of facts/myths can be downloaded and read here.

F
    F
    Thanks for this post Indigo. I read "Lowering the Bar" with my morning coffee. Common Core aims high school kids at Algebra II as their final secondary math class? And uses community college admissions standards as the trajectory for all of the required course sequences? I have heard a lot of rumblings about Common Core in the last year but mainly in the area of idiotic math worksheet questions. I haven't really paid attention because my kids go to private school and my state hasn't adopted Common Core (yet.)

Everyone should read this paper. It is chilling. Our schools are "racing to the top" of community college and almost every state is buying textbooks written to these standards. The ripple effect across education will be unavoidable.

Now David Coleman, the architect of Common Core, is rewriting the SAT to align it with Common Core. Lower level math, less abstruse vocabulary questions (too easy to prep!), more reading and construing "foundational documents." It's not clear what the SAT will test when all is said and done, but it may only show community college readiness.

Depressing. I think homeschooled kids are going to have a distinct educational advantage in the coming years.

Originally Posted by fwtxmom
    Common Core aims high school kids at Algebra II as their final secondary math class?

That is easily demonstrated untrue. Common Core contains standards for post-Algebra II concepts like trig functions, vector math, and statistics.

Also, just because it doesn't describe a standard for derivatives, doesn't mean the school can't teach calculus. When we're talking about standards, we're talking about minimums. We're describing a floor, not a ceiling.

The Pioneer Institute has a known political bias, so keep that in mind.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by Dude
    Common Core contains standards for post-Algebra II concepts like trig functions, vector math, and statistics.
    I've been looking for sources, can you point me to where you find these standards?

When we're talking about standards, we're talking about minimums. We're describing a floor, not a ceiling.
    I've been looking for statements along those lines from common core, but have found none. Instead the message I have found from common core is a video which values uniformity. If you have found statements from common core sources which state the standards are a floor, not a ceiling, would you please share them?

Originally Posted by indigo
    Common Core contains standards for post-Algebra II concepts like trig functions, vector math, and statistics.
    I've been looking for sources, can you point me to where you find these standards?

http://www.corestandards.org/Math/

Originally Posted by indigo
    When we're talking about standards, we're talking about minimums. We're describing a floor, not a ceiling.
    I've been looking for statements along those lines from common core, but have found none. Instead the message I have found from common core is a video which values uniformity. If you have found statements from common core sources which state the standards are a floor, not a ceiling, would you please share them?

http://wunc.org/post/fact-check-clearing-7-common-core-claims

Jason Zimba, a lead author of the math standards, also says that it’s up to states to determine how much math students should take to graduate: “Just because the Common Core standards end with Algebra II, that doesn’t mean the high school curriculum is supposed to end there. States still can and still should provide a pathway to calculus for all students who are prepared to succeed on that pathway."

If you look in the standards, you'll see that Algebra I is described as 8th grade math. Traditionally, anyone expecting to take calculus in high school would have to take Algebra I no later than 8th grade.

Beyond 8th grade, everything is simply described as "high school math," and broken down by concepts rather than course descriptions. That leaves the discretion to the curriculum developers and states/school districts over which concepts will be taught in which courses.

N
    N
    The problem with minimum standards in education is that they rapidly become the goal. With a lack of funding across the board, schools focus their money on meeting the minimums and cut everything that doesn't have to do with that. That's how NCLB became No Child Gets Ahead.

M
    M
    Here's all I have to say about CC at this point. Get the high school and middle school kids (who actually ARE a college material) ready for college, but don't feed it to the little elementary kids who should first learn to love learning and not be compared to benchmarks all year long.

M
    M
    Just to add. I don't really have a problem with CC standards themselves, I don't find them at all too demanding. But I have serious issues with how they are implemented, especially when it comes to teaching little kids.

G
    G
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    The problem with minimum standards in education is that they rapidly become the goal. With a lack of funding across the board, schools focus their money on meeting the minimums and cut everything that doesn't have to do with that. That's how NCLB became No Child Gets Ahead.

Here's how it went down in my district: The curriculum folk and the math leaders heard the pomp and circumstance of "rigor" and "depth" and *freaked out*. They saw it as being way too hard for the kids in this district (44% rate IDd as cognitively or academically gifted by state standards). They therefore put the kids on the absolute slowest track such that you can't get much past Algebra II without either (1) placing into gifted in 3rd grade (~5% of students), or (2) passing a tough test in 6th grade to take a 2-year class that they tell the kids over and over again will Be Really Hard and A Lot Of Work. About 10% of kids elected that route.

I'm sitting here with undergrads wanting to major in STEM fields, and they can't get the prerequisites done to even start the major. And now, at least for the implementation here, only a small fraction of our very smart kids will enter college with the math they need to even consider these majors.

Originally Posted by Mk13
    Just to add. I don't really have a problem with CC standards themselves, I don't find them at all too demanding. But I have serious issues with how they are implemented, especially when it comes to teaching little kids.

Implementation is done very locally. While I will rant and rave endlessly at the decisions our district made for 6-12 implementation, they did a great job in K-5. Kids are thriving, with access to interesting and challenging work when they're ready, supported with stepping stones to understanding until then.

Standards are not curriculum.

I
    indigo Offline OP
    OP Offline
    I
    Originally Posted by master of none
    I tried to read the facts/myths but when "useless placeholder" was considered a fact, it gave me permanent pause.
    That phrase, out of context, would give me pause as well.
    Claims and Facts PI download (emphasis added)

Common Core Claim: The standards accommodate and prepare students for Algebra 1 in 8th grade by including the prerequisites for this course in grades K-7. Students who master the K-7 material will be able to take Algebra 1 in 8th grade. At the same time, grade 8 standards also include rigorous algebra and will transition students effectively into a full Algebra 1 course in grade 9.

Fact: The standards do not enable students to complete Algebra I in the 8th grade. Common Core explicitly places Algebra I in grade 9. Grade 8 in Common Core mathematics is a useless placeholder.
    Some may say the duplication of assigning Algebra I to 8th grade and 9th grade makes 8th grade Algebra 1 a useless placeholder, rather than a clear steppingstone to more rigorous curriculum. That said, common core has changed its website several times, possibly in response to such feedback.

I do think common core has issues. It did lower standards in our schools for the GT kids. The implementers say no it moves standards to a more appropriate place. I think that comes from an assumption that all kids have the same potential for learning and all need to work to the same high level. That's a political ideal, not in the common core standards, but in the common core marketing.

Overall, I think discussion of what's happening in our districts is a great way for us all to see what common core is all about and to give us some perspective as we advocate for our kids.
    Agreed! smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM