Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    1 members (jenjunpr), 300 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Congrats Newtothis!

Yay, NTT! Congratulations! laugh

Kriston
    Congrats on the great news!!

Crisc
    moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Congratulations newtothis! Thanks for the best wishes. We got an e-mail from Bryan Hallauer, who is in charge of applications to let us know that they received the application and reccomendation letters. He also mentioned that they were going to review applications on the 16th and we should hear back in 3-4 weeks. I thought it was very good of them to notify us.

Congratulations! Good to see another 5 year old DYS!

LMom
    Well, I've been working on DS' portfolio today. I'm just not sure what kind of stuff they are looking for. We don't have a video camera, so that's pretty much out. I tried to collect some interesting (and I think unusual) work samples. Not worksheets, although I have reams of those, but stuff that DS made or wrote. I am also planning to send more anecdotes. I don't know if they are looking for rock solid proof of...something...? I'm not sure I have anything like that. I guess what I have will just have to do.

Does anybody have any tips/ideas for what to include in a portfolio? How much stuff should I send? Do they return the things I submit? Some of them are keepsakes. I won't send them if I can't get them back.

moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Cathy,
    I didn't video my DS7 for the portfolio even though we have a camera...just felt a little strange about doing it. I sent off copies of samples from his kid writing journal/books which show his creativity and humor. They do not return items and since we are sentimental about saving these books (which he started writing in kindergarten and into this year into 1st), I just sent copies of the ones that were the best. I probably sent off more than was necessary, but I wanted to give them a feel of the books. I also probably gave too much detailed description for the portfolio, but I felt they needed to know since they didn't have the total book series.
    If you'd like I can give you more detail in a pm.
    Moni

I'm not sure how to copy some of these things because he illustrates a lot of his writing with flaps and pop-ups that he makes.

Could I take photos of the originals?

moni Offline OP
    OP Offline
    That sounds very cool. smile I'm not sure about photos...perhaps you could copy the parts you could and add photos? You may just want to contact DYS about that...I sent them an e-mail with my questions and they got back to me within a week. (you can always call them too which is a bit quicker I think.

Thanks, Moni. I did try calling them last week but their message said they were out of the office until the 25th. So I decided to pump you for info instead smile

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM