Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
    G
    G
    I bought this for DS9 awhile back and stayed up WAY past my bed time finishing up the whole game.

He loved it too. smile

I didn't realize there was a Dragonbox 2. Oh well, there goes my to-do list for today....

M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    lol GinaW

My boys re-discovered it today (Dragonbox 2) as well while waiting in the car and it was great to see them engaging together over my phone. I love these moments

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    B
    B
    An NYT reporter likes DragonBox:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/14/t...-children-can-play-the-game-of-math.html
    With Apps, Children Can Play the Game of Math
    By KIT EATON
    New York Times
    November 13, 2013

[...]

The most impressive math education app I’ve seen has to be DragonBox Algebra 5+. What impresses me is that its clever design can teach all sorts of complex algebra concepts without making children feel as if they are learning mathematics.

The app is like a game, and it starts at an abstract level: The player has to match small cartoon icons with their matching “dark” alternatives, eventually arranging the pieces on the playing board so that only the magical “box” of the game’s title is left on the board. As the child plays through the levels, the abstract cartoon icons are eventually replaced with numbers and proper mathematical symbols, but with the same gameplay and sound effects.

It’s fun, and the graphics and sound effects are attractive enough to keep children playing. And while they’re playing, they are unknowingly learning some of the same math principles that you need when you’re doing algebra — addition, subtraction, balancing an equation, even concepts like parentheses. Play it yourself and you’ll see how much fun it is.

Perhaps the main drawback to this app is its complicated menus. If you’re going to use it with 5-year-olds, it’s probably best to keep them company so they don’t get frustrated by instructions they cannot read. It is also surprisingly expensive, at $6, but you get over 200 puzzles for your money. The app is on iOS and Android.

U
    U
    I'm tempted to try DragonBox because I've been striking out with math apps for DS5. (DD9 doesn't really need/want them.) I note that all the other apps reviewed in that article seem to have the one of same issues I've already seen--multiple choice. (For example, the question may be “10 x 15 = ?” and the five options are “0, 1, 50, 150, 200.”) I think this is an awful way to do it for kids with number sense. Zero?? One??

E
    E
    Ultra - for MathBoard at least you can choose between multiple choice, fill in the blank and keyboard (settings / answer styles)... I, like you, much prefer it not to be multiple choice :-) My DS8 uses the app at school and I've asked the teacher to switch him away from multiple choice there as well. She told me some children really require it but not my son.

Madoosa - thanks for the suggestion! We have owned it for less than 48 hours and only two problems to go finish parts 1 & 2 :-) He had a very successful round at the hairdresser yesterday, she and her staff of 2 could not figure out what he was doing or how he was doing it so fast!

M
    Madoosa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Pleasure Expat Mama smile

I knew I had to share it here - it's really right up our kids alley's.

Bostonian - not sure what the reviewer means about complicated instructions. I cannot recall any written instructions per se. Even my 2 year old managed to figure out the beginning puzzles without anyone sitting with him.

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)
    C
    C
    ooh dragonbox 2! DS loved the first one. thank you for sharing!

N
    N
    Dragonbox is fabulous! I just downloaded the 5+ one last night, and DD7 and DS11 are already hooked on it. In fact, the first thing she did when she got up this morning was turn on the iPad and start on Dragonbox! smile

Once DS gets through this one, I'll get him the 12+ one, too.

C
    C
    DD5 & DS8 loooove Dragonbox. A math teacher friend recommended it - raved about it, actually. I didn't even know DD5 had seen it until she downloaded it, herself, on DH's iPhone to play. When he asked where this strange new app had come from I'm not sure what surprised him more: that she was doing algebra or that she knew how to download apps onto his phone!

U
    U
    Okay, you guys just sold me. It's funny--we're so used to apps being free or .99 that SIX DOLLARS seems wildly exorbitant, but I guess we can front it.

Hopefully it will last us more than a couple of weeks. I had to uninstall Angry Birds because it was frustrating DS too much (screeech! cryyyy!). We haven't found a good chess app that we like, nor is he really in love with the other gamey apps I have, so maybe this will keep him busy for a while. He liked one I had called King of Math, but finished the free version. He doesn't need any reading apps and I haven't found any good/fun spelling ones. DD likes the creativity-oriented apps, but those aren't his thing. Our Wii died, and the kids aren't big on TV, so we have actually been not sure what to have him do for his precious screen time block every day. We have Android phones, no tablets.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM