Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    ColinsMum #169414 09/27/13 12:44 PM
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by ColinsMum
    Great idea. Instead of recruiting people and then having to train then, insist that they train at their expense to your specification!
    I worked at a company where they had a good training program for options traders -- and made them sign a 3-year non-compete before starting the program. There can be advantages to being trained at your own expense.

Bostonian #169420 09/27/13 01:29 PM
    P
    P
    I live in NZ so my experience won't match I guess but;

1st year university (we don't have college) - 300 people in the lecture hall, good lecturers give informative, clear lectures that anticipate questions. Other lecturers do not have good enough English to do more than recite. If they are asked questions they repeat what they have said and often have to go back a page in their script if they are interrupted.

Unless you already have a well paid job and qualifications and skills the employer doesn't want to lose paying for training is pretty much up to the employee.

Bostonian #169457 09/28/13 04:12 AM
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The only way that this makes any kind of real sense is with no assessment or expert guidance/feedback for participants, and there's no "there" there, if you see what I mean. No way is that going to be credit-bearing. Nobody is going to grant me a license to practice law just because I say that I should be able to, based upon my years of study, and they shouldn't, either. Now, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't study the law as a means to enrich my own life and that I might not even attain a level of understanding that rivals the pros.

You need to read more by libertarians smile. Occupational licensing is largely a scam by incumbents to keep out lower-priced competition. Someone who passes the bar exam should be able to practice law without going to law school. For much of American history, there was no such requirement. Abraham Lincoln did not go to law school. Forcing to people to pay for four years of college before three years of law school is doubly egregious. To put it bluntly, academics at undergraduate and professional schools have long benefited from a credentialing monopoly they have lobbied for. I want that monopoly broken and for students save time and money -- which means a lot of professors will be out of work. Online courses alone won't burst the higher education bubble. Deregulation of the labor market is also needed.

Amen!

But unlike the authors of most of the gushing articles championing MOOCs as a game changer in the sense of reducing tuitions fees I just do not see anything close to equivalency between physically being on a campus and being there virtually via a MOOC. Nor, apparently, does this guy who now attends MIT in person:-

Mongolian guy aces MIT virtual class now at MIT

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/28/13 04:13 AM.

Become what you are
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM