Originally Posted by Bostonian
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
The only way that this makes any kind of real sense is with no assessment or expert guidance/feedback for participants, and there's no "there" there, if you see what I mean. No way is that going to be credit-bearing. Nobody is going to grant me a license to practice law just because I say that I should be able to, based upon my years of study, and they shouldn't, either. Now, that doesn't mean that I shouldn't study the law as a means to enrich my own life and that I might not even attain a level of understanding that rivals the pros.

You need to read more by libertarians smile. Occupational licensing is largely a scam by incumbents to keep out lower-priced competition. Someone who passes the bar exam should be able to practice law without going to law school. For much of American history, there was no such requirement. Abraham Lincoln did not go to law school. Forcing to people to pay for four years of college before three years of law school is doubly egregious. To put it bluntly, academics at undergraduate and professional schools have long benefited from a credentialing monopoly they have lobbied for. I want that monopoly broken and for students save time and money -- which means a lot of professors will be out of work. Online courses alone won't burst the higher education bubble. Deregulation of the labor market is also needed.

Amen!

But unlike the authors of most of the gushing articles championing MOOCs as a game changer in the sense of reducing tuitions fees I just do not see anything close to equivalency between physically being on a campus and being there virtually via a MOOC. Nor, apparently, does this guy who now attends MIT in person:-

Mongolian guy aces MIT virtual class now at MIT

Last edited by madeinuk; 09/28/13 04:13 AM.

Become what you are