Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #163750 08/07/13 07:51 AM
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    How long does it take? Or if ds is not happy in 1st, is it merely because he thinks it'll be more of the same (as last year)?

I am supposed to contact the principal after a few weeks in school to set up a district meeting to discuss ds (requested by district people).

Any thoughts about what to do, help son cope with the situation?
    Thanks, once again.

I always give the teachers the first 6 weeks to get to know my kids before I throw myself into the situation, if at all possible. My kids have always been in slightly crowded schools, so I figured it takes awhile to actually get to know 20-25 kids.

At that age I reminded them the first month or so of school is basically just play time! There will be lots of playing games, singing songs, learning about the rules in the classroom, meeting all your teachers, and maybe doing a bit of schoolwork so your teacher can see what you remember. It never seems like they get around to serious classwork until nearly halloween.

~amy
    D
    D
    our situation last year ended in total disaster, but the one thing that did really work (along the journey) was keeping DD5 apprised of meetings/recommendations as we had them, while being clear with her that we expected a three-pronged approach: the school officials would do one part, the parents would do the second part and the kid would do the third part. we spent a lot of time with her talking about which parts (if any) she could make better on her own - she had a lot of good suggestions and implemented them remarkably well.

it really kept her alive until we finally saw that the school wasn't going to do anything, regardless of how hard we worked at our parts. at that point, we decided to look around for other options.

Last edited by doubtfulguest; 08/07/13 08:41 AM.

Every Sunday it brooded and lay on the floor. Inconveniently close to the drawing-room door.
    M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks epoch and doubtful guest!

Don't get me wrong, I know there is review at the beginning. Hence, I am encouraging ds to be patient. However, ds is not inherently patient. I'm actually afraid we've said too much about how we are trying to help- that this year will be better. I understand the first few weeks, but then there needs to be radical differentiation or things are not going to be good.

Thanks again:) soo much appreciated.

M
    M
    We are in the same situation. School hasn't started yet,but I hope that I didn't "over promise" that 1st would be different (even though it should be, as we have GIEPs now and they know what is needed.) I was told by the teacher who leads the gifted program to prepare my sons that they wouldn't be receiving differentiated work for a few weeks after school started. I have been reminding my sons of that fact occasionally so that they are not shocked and worried when they get there and nothing new is being done to help them learn.

The saddest part of all of this to me is that my children really want to learn at school, and they don't understand why it is so difficult for the teachers to just give them work on their level so that they CAN learn something. And for some reason the teachers don't seem to understand just how frustrating it is for little boys who want to learn but are expected to review items they have known for several years ALL. DAY. LONG.

Last edited by momoftwins; 08/08/13 08:06 AM.
    N
    N
    If he isn't happy, it isn't because he thinks it's just more of the same -- it's because it IS just more of the same. They do so much review at the start of the year, it's long enough to make kids like your DS give up and assume nothing new is going to happen this year, either. Which may or may not be true, but it's hard to convince them otherwise after shutdown.

We've always clung to that meeting a few weeks in, as a means of adding hope to the boy. "Hang in there, we have a meeting coming up and we'll figure stuff out then."

22B Offline
    Originally Posted by Nautigal
    If he isn't happy, it isn't because he thinks it's just more of the same -- it's because it IS just more of the same. They do so much review at the start of the year, it's long enough to make kids like your DS give up and assume nothing new is going to happen this year, either.

That's the advantage of home/virtual school. You can rapidly skim through the revision (just quickly take the tests to verify competence in the earlier material) and move on to the new stuff.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Momoftwins- I hope your school has things in place when school starts! Also, I totally agree with my ds would like to learn at school. Honestly, if he isn't given some opportunity soon, he may decide that there is no learning to be had there.

Nautigal- shutting down is exactly what I am worried about. Last year was very hard on him on every level except academic. I am terrified of reliving another year like last year. You're right though, I probably need to re mention the meeting.

Thanks for your thoughts momoftwins and Nautigal!

My other thought is you would think that the principal and/ or the gifted coordinator would help support kids like ds during this time of review.

This also makes me wonder if this IS the least worse choice for my ds. He has no friends at school, though is friendly. He is already as of day 6 complaining of stomach pain and unable to eat. When he gets home starting on day3, he has been an emotional wreck everyday- refusing to talk about school.

I will attempt to remain positive about the plan we will get from the meeting. Try.

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM