Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 196 guests, and 25 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    streble, DeliciousPizza, prominentdigitiz, parentologyco, Smartlady60
    11,413 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    I write a math enrichment resource book for my daughter�s school. I�m looking to update the book for next school year. I�d appreciate any suggestions for new resources I can include. I�m looking for materials released in 2012 and 2013 including toys, board games, video games, apps, websites, and books (non-fiction and fiction). Although the book is aimed at fifth and sixth graders, I make a digital copy available at our PTO website so materials cover a wide range of grade levels and math abilities. If you�d like to see last year�s book, you can download it here: https://sites.google.com/site/polan...-math-enrichment-family-resource-book-1. Thanks in advance for your help.

Z
    Z
    Regular 5th and 6th grade or gifted?

I'll see what I can glean from DS7's various endeavours. I'm not sure how easily I can figure out release dates.

p.s. Here are some off the top of my head that he's liked; I'll have to check the iPad and the laptop for additional ones and find out from him which he gives props to:

Apps:
    King of Math (medieval themed math games with social/competitive aspect)
    Math Brownie (buy by the year, earn points to buy games)
    Mathemagics (mental math tricks of all sorts)
    DragonBox (stealth algebra learning)

Content/App:
    ShowMe (lots of video math lessons recorded primarily by teachers)

Sites:
    Mathspace.com (oriented as an online textbook)

Last edited by Zen Scanner; 06/13/13 01:12 PM. Reason: add examples
    G
    G
    I released my book "Hard Math for Elementary School" two weeks ago. It's designed for gifted students in grades 3-5.

You can find both the book and a workbook on Amazon.

OP Offline
    Thanks for the suggestions; I'll check them out.

The project started when I was trying to find resources for my gifted DD 10. Since the book is for students in a public school, I try to offer resources for students who find math challenging, typical students, as well gifted children. The reason I came here for help is that I find the best resource suggestions come from parents of gifted children.

I'd appreciate any resources you can suggest. I try to describe them in the book based on the age-level they're aimed at; then parents can adjust. For example, parents of gifted kids in k-3 find the 5th and 6th grade materials useful. Some resources appeal to all ages and levels; for example, the most popular resource listed in the book by far is Minecraft.

Z
    Z
    Cool. BrainPop is another app, that DS likes a lot that has math videos as well as a wide range of other topics. It is a subscription base, but not too bad. It also includes quizzes. And one more is MyScript Calculator, which allows you to handwrite equations of all sorts of forms and it interprets and calculates.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    New, and you'd think I'd have a clue...
    by astronomama - 03/24/24 06:01 AM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    Son 2e, wide discrepancy between CogAT-Terranova
    by astronomama - 03/23/24 07:21 AM