Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: ohmathmom Looking for math enrichment resources - 06/13/13 06:25 PM
I write a math enrichment resource book for my daughter�s school. I�m looking to update the book for next school year. I�d appreciate any suggestions for new resources I can include. I�m looking for materials released in 2012 and 2013 including toys, board games, video games, apps, websites, and books (non-fiction and fiction). Although the book is aimed at fifth and sixth graders, I make a digital copy available at our PTO website so materials cover a wide range of grade levels and math abilities. If you�d like to see last year�s book, you can download it here: https://sites.google.com/site/polan...-math-enrichment-family-resource-book-1. Thanks in advance for your help.
Regular 5th and 6th grade or gifted?

I'll see what I can glean from DS7's various endeavours. I'm not sure how easily I can figure out release dates.

p.s. Here are some off the top of my head that he's liked; I'll have to check the iPad and the laptop for additional ones and find out from him which he gives props to:

Apps:
King of Math (medieval themed math games with social/competitive aspect)
Math Brownie (buy by the year, earn points to buy games)
Mathemagics (mental math tricks of all sorts)
DragonBox (stealth algebra learning)

Content/App:
ShowMe (lots of video math lessons recorded primarily by teachers)

Sites:
Mathspace.com (oriented as an online textbook)
Posted By: gellison Re: Looking for math enrichment resources - 06/13/13 08:45 PM
I released my book "Hard Math for Elementary School" two weeks ago. It's designed for gifted students in grades 3-5.

You can find both the book and a workbook on Amazon.
Posted By: ohmathmom Re: Looking for math enrichment resources - 06/13/13 10:49 PM
Thanks for the suggestions; I'll check them out.

The project started when I was trying to find resources for my gifted DD 10. Since the book is for students in a public school, I try to offer resources for students who find math challenging, typical students, as well gifted children. The reason I came here for help is that I find the best resource suggestions come from parents of gifted children.

I'd appreciate any resources you can suggest. I try to describe them in the book based on the age-level they're aimed at; then parents can adjust. For example, parents of gifted kids in k-3 find the 5th and 6th grade materials useful. Some resources appeal to all ages and levels; for example, the most popular resource listed in the book by far is Minecraft.
Cool. BrainPop is another app, that DS likes a lot that has math videos as well as a wide range of other topics. It is a subscription base, but not too bad. It also includes quizzes. And one more is MyScript Calculator, which allows you to handwrite equations of all sorts of forms and it interprets and calculates.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum