Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    B
    OP Offline
    B
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    You calculate the mean and standard deviation of the scores. Then you divide them up into classrooms by standard deviations: Everyone between -3 and -1 SD in one class, everyone in -1 to +1 SD in another, and everyone in +1 to +3 SD in the last. You are treated as equally exceptional whether you are significantly above the mean, or below.
    Approximately 2/3 of standardized normally distributed samples are between -1 and 1, with 1/6 below -1 and 1/6 above 1, so your suggestion would result in the middle group (-1 to 1) having 4 times as many students as the bottom group or the top group (since 2/3 = 4*1/6).

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    what the research seems to actually show is that ALL children do well with ENRICHED learning environments. But that is not the same thing as saying that they all achieve like HG+ learners.

Indeed, not all will achieve like Above Average+ learners.

Here's some exciting news.

Apparently, being from a low SES and then becoming highly achieving causes you severe physical stress.

"The authors found that the socioeconomically at-risk kids who reported low levels of depression, conduct problems, and substance abuse and who were rated as highly competent by their teachers in fact showed the greatest signs of physical distress. In other words, the more kids seem to be fighting their way to success, the more their health seems to suffer."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brainstorm/201306/the-hidden-costs-resilience

It's psychology today so I have no idea whether it's actually good science.

Originally Posted by Val
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Especially if the "accommodation" is something better than handing the kid a workbook for a year of self-instruction in the back of the classroom.

DeeDee

Ooh! Ooh! I did that in third grade using fourth grade material and then got to repeat the fourth grade material in fourth grade.

I'm not sure if I even learned much the first time through it. I slept through it in fourth grade.

DS just completed Kindergarten. He enjoyed working in his first grade workbook and also third grade math sheets when he finished ahead of the class. But I didn't enjoy seeing him do twice the amount of work than he should have. The Kindergarten math sheets came home side-by-side with the third grade ones. It was ludicrous.

We knew he'd be in for more of the same if he was re-enrolled for next year and have headed off that disaster (we think, anyway) with enrollment in a blended-grade charter for first.

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Ametrine
    The Kindergarten math sheets came home side-by-side with the third grade ones. It was ludicrous.

Hmm...well, maybe the logic was "Just because he can multiply doesn't mean he knows how to count."

Or maybe there was a misconception about giftedness: "Gifted kids love to do lots and lots of worksheets."

I honestly don't understand it either. frown

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    Approximately 2/3 of standardized normally distributed samples are between -1 and 1, with 1/6 below -1 and 1/6 above 1, so your suggestion would result in the middle group (-1 to 1) having 4 times as many students as the bottom group or the top group (since 2/3 = 4*1/6).

Thanks for putting numbers with it. My questions is really about what prevents teachers from meeting students at their level effectively. Is it the number of students, or the discrepancies in ability? A combination? My guess it's a combination, but what is the proper weighting of those factors?

The class limits could also work in tandem:
    1) No class shall be larger than 25 kids.
    2) No class shall include students more than 2 SDs apart.

Students who are outside the target range of the curriculum probably also require a disproportionate amount of time, DAD22.

So I'm thinking that curriculum itself needs to not be more than one SD away, too.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Students who are outside the target range of the curriculum probably also require a disproportionate amount of time, DAD22.

Students who are outside because they are able to absorb the material can just sleep through class.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by DAD22
    Thanks for putting numbers with it. My questions is really about what prevents teachers from meeting students at their level effectively. Is it the number of students, or the discrepancies in ability? A combination? My guess it's a combination, but what is the proper weighting of those factors?

I'd say its a combination of both factors, with a third factor being the skill level of the teacher, where the relevant skills are managing instruction at different levels simultaneously AND content knowledge. In many districts elementary and middle school teachers have a K-8 certification, i.e., no specialized content knowledge. They have to learn extra to teach HG students at an appropriate level while also developing/delivering lessonss for the rest of the students.

B
    OP Offline
    B
    The NYT now has an article on this, mostly about ability grouping by a teacher within a classroom, rather than assigning different ability groups to different teachers at the same grade level.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/10/e...bility-regains-favor-with-educators.html
    Grouping Students by Ability Regains Favor in Classroom
    By VIVIAN YEE
    New York Times
    June 9, 2013

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM