Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 332 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Emerson Wong, Markas, HarryKevin91, Gingtto, SusanRoth
    11,429 Registered Users
    May
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4
    5 6 7 8 9 10 11
    12 13 14 15 16 17 18
    19 20 21 22 23 24 25
    26 27 28 29 30 31
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by Dbat
    Actually my third-grade math class worked this way--but that was over 40 years ago. I did find it motivating and I think other students who were usually in the top ~fourth or third of the class did too, but I do wonder what effect it had on the students near the bottom. It was not a 'tracked' or accelerated class, so students of all abilities were in there together.

It was in classes like this where I figured out that my intelligence could be used as a sledgehammer to psychologically smash other students.

So, it also causes problems for the top of the class.

Winning!

U
    U
    As I have mentioned before on this board, the teachers at DD's gifted magnet seem to semi-routinely announce grades and call out high achievers. They also send home report cards and standardized test scores in the kids' binders without an envelope or any instructions to keep them private.

I find this odd and troubling. It feel deliberate since it's happened in both classes, with two very different teachers.

DD is a high achiever and is often on the receiving end of these comments. She does not like it.

U
    U
    M of N, that's always been the way band and orchestra were seated in all the ones I have been in. It's traditional practice, though I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it had been eliminated.

Originally Posted by master of none
    Well, at least you knew where you stood. No practice, makes you a less stellar player. And then your parents could see that performance and either knock some practice into you or refuse to spend money on lessons, or tell your grandparents don't bother to show up, or however they wanted to respond to your underachieving ways. Sadly my dd takes no lessons, and rarely practices but is top in her class. She would not be tops anywhere else, and won't be by high school, but she says when she is no longer near the top, she will quit. I'm so glad that the ranking takes this part of parenting out of my hands.

I kept doing it to fill in part of the "well-rounded" checkbox for college.

Strictly going through the motions.

Z
    Z
    The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) supports the instruction of students within heterogeneous classrooms that recognize and accommodate individual student differences in learning style, ability, and interests.

That's awesome, I fully support the NASP in this dream! (cue violins)

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
    The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) supports the instruction of students within heterogeneous classrooms that recognize and accommodate individual student differences in learning style, ability, and interests.

That's awesome, I fully support the NASP in this dream! (cue violins)

Especially if the "accommodation" is something better than handing the kid a workbook for a year of self-instruction in the back of the classroom.

DeeDee

Originally Posted by JonLaw
    Our band and orchestra performances routinely list the names of the kids in order of ability, starting in elementary. The better you are, the higher up your name. They also sit according to ability. The better are in front. The back row is not where you want to be.

No, I specifically wanted to be in the back row in Orchestra.

I mean, if you wanted to be better, you had to practice.

And practicing an instrument is boring beyond words.

DD?

Is that you?

wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Especially if the "accommodation" is something better than handing the kid a workbook for a year of self-instruction in the back of the classroom.

DeeDee

Ooh! Ooh! I did that in third grade using fourth grade material and then got to repeat the fourth grade material in fourth grade.

I'm not sure if I even learned much the first time through it. I slept through it in fourth grade.

'creative' being a euphemism for 'lowering standards' to further alienate the children with the most potential.

Become what you are
    Val Offline
    the problem as I see it is that nobody cares about the top.

I think that's it exactly. There's probably an assumption among many educators (I've certainly heard it) that the higher achievers and/or brighter students are okay because they're already passing the test. NCLB and its onerous conditions don't help.

It would help if educators in general were smarter. Schools are an environment with a high focus on cognitive activities. In this kind of environment, smarter people understand the needs of other smarter people in a way that others just don't.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 05/03/24 07:21 PM
    Technology may replace 40% of jobs in 15 years
    by brilliantcp - 05/02/24 05:17 PM
    NAGC Tip Sheets
    by indigo - 04/29/24 08:36 AM
    Employers less likely to hire from IVYs
    by Wren - 04/29/24 03:43 AM