Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 228 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    My dd13 has been using Aleks as a math supplement to public school since 4th grade. I plan move into more problem-solving/real life math for her soon, possibly by starting with Jacobs' Mathematics is a Human Endeavor and then going into AoPS. Aleks worked fairly well for her in general, but she really does not like math. She can be good at it, but does not like it at all and has almost completely checked-out this past year both in class and in her online Aleks time. She spent her class time drawing/reading and doing her homework while the teacher taught.

So, right now she finished 7th grade math at school this past year and is about 60% complete on Math 8 in Aleks. Does anyone who understands Aleks and/or math curriculum at this grade think there would be a problem or she would miss topics if she moves into Algebra I? She did the assessment and was only at 25% or so.

I want to see if I can get her engaged in the program again and the hands-off (on my part) aspect of Aleks is a good thing.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

S
    S
    I think I would try to find a different math program that she might enjoy. I've heard Aleks is pretty boring even for mathy-kids, so maybe it's just too tedious? None of my kids liked it, at any rate. What about switching it up with something like Life of Fred, which is more of an enrichment that a curriculum?

AoPS is very challenging and I don't think I'd have a child who doesn't like math do it. My son is very mathy, but even he gets frustrated with the AoPS challenge problems at times. Before starting it, I would have her take their assessment.

P
    P
    There is a link on the ALEKS curriculum page that should show you the recommended course progression - have you tried looking there? I'm not sure which Aleks course you are referring to as "Math 8" but am guessing you mean either Middle School 2 or 3? No matter which course it is, I thought that in Aleks, Pre-Algebra is always suggested prior to Algebra - but... please know... I didn't have time tonight to pull up the actual recommended course order list. If you do look at that list, there used to be three sets of recommendations - one for mathy kids, one for typical kids who aren't all about math, and one for kids who struggle. As long as your dd is doing well in math, I wouldn't see any reason not to follow the "mathy" kids recommended course selection route.

That said, if this was my child, and she wasn't enjoying math or she wasn't really into it, I'd seriously consider dropping the enrichment at this point and use that time/effort toward a subject she really enjoys and is strong at. If she was really struggling with math, I might push it - but it sounds like she's doing ok, just isn't a kid who likes math (?).

Best wishes,

polarbear

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Thank you both for your replies. Unfortunately, going without a supplement in math is not an option. Before Aleks, she was not progressing and the teacher said that she was "struggling." After Aleks, doing it a few times a week for 20 minutes at a time, she was getting top scores. Huge difference. When I say she "checks out" at school, she absolutely does. It's easy for her to pass and she has no motivation based on grades. She has done fine on the curricula in school even with spending just a few hours on Aleks sporadically over the past year, so perhaps she is over whatever was making her struggle previously, but I am not willing to risk that at this point.

I guess more of the question was can a kid skip Pre-Alg and still do fine in Alg and Geometry and particularly in Aleks because it is a program that can add blocks of topics based on lack of mastery indicated on the assessment tests given. I will contact Aleks and find that out - I just hadn't thought to ask them about that specifically. They say to advance at 85% and to go back if they assess at less than 15%, but I don't want her to miss any blocks of info, right? So, actually, this is a question that I should be asking Aleks, of course. That makes sense. Sometimes I just have to verbalize a problem before answering it myself. smile

As for AoPS, it explains the whys of the math, which, from what I have seen, is not really provided in the standard-issue school curricula. I am thinking that the problem solving aspect will engage her and challenge her. I do not trust that the math courses will be sufficient for her. I don't want her to be able to do the math but never understand it, especially since she is not a mathy kid that plays with numbers and instinctively decodes mathematical language.

I should qualify, I hated math as a kid - was allowed to drop out of math essentially in middle school, barely passed Alg I in HS, took "consumer math" and graduated with that. I had to work through basic math and the entire Alegbra progression in college, finally getting some pre-calc at a community college when I was in grad school to cover some things I needed for an engineering management course. I know we are not supposed to project on to our kids, but I want her to have the opportunity to enjoy math. I do now that I "get" some things that were never taught. I am not looking to hyper accelerate her or anything, just engage and challenge her, just as if she was not a natural reader and needed a nudge to read at a more challenging level.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM