Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    J
    J
    my DS took the SAT last year after he taught himself high school math. first in November without prep(only read the small booklet collegeboard sent us to get the idea what the test format is), then read the collegeboard prep materials(skill insight, a couple prep exams), but his December score only went up 40 points. so from our experience, prep does not make too much difference. maybe extensive one or years of school math matters

J
    J
    Just got reply from Davidson. They want IQ score. I am wondering which IQ test is a better gauge of his true ability. His primary language is not English. He is 8 and in 2nd grade. So if a test involves too much western social knowledge, that might adversely affect him. He is really good at understanding difficult concepts, but not particularly good at following steps. Has a broad interest, no observed social issues. He is good at math. Got 660 in SAT math, but I don't see him a future mathematician. He is more interested in music(want to be a composer) or geography, history(want to be a professor in a good college) than in math. Can anyone suggest a suitable IQ test? and where to take these tests?

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Thanks for the great references. I believe that SAT scores can and do increase through training, coachinng and practice. It's a big business. At one time, I considered teaching SAT and LSAT courses part-time so did a bit of research. That is not to say that I would want to coach DS specifically to get a high score.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    That is impressive. I think it is more beneficial to actually learn the math behind the SAT questions, which would presumably take more than a month.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Congratualations! That is an impressive score for an 8-year-old. DYS only accepts a few IQ tests so look under the qualifications section, then google to get a better sense. I am guessing here, but perhaps DYS may have gotten the impression that he is only strong in math. Perhaps his SAT verbal score was low because he did not focus his energy on it and/or the portfolio did not suggest advance verbal abilities? Even if his primary language is not English, might he not do well on verbal tests given his interest in geography and history? There will likely be a cultural disadvantage but he should still do well. From the limited amount that I know, the SB-V may be more suitable than the WISC-IV given his mathematical abilities.

J
    J
    you are right. the portfolio only focused on math as I don't know how to present a portfolio showing him reading 2~3 grade level above history/geography materials. but I did include award certificates of a few state level piano competitions. He is also good at chess and go game, play a few team sports at recreation level as he is not tall for his age.

Originally Posted by Quantum2003
    That is impressive. I think it is more beneficial to actually learn the math behind the SAT questions, which would presumably take more than a month.

Quantum2003, if you click Quote instead of just Reply it's easier to see what you're talking about.

Originally Posted by Dottie
    scores above about 730 really require near perfection.

Seriously? Wow, that's what I got and I've never considered myself very good at math. Although an acquaintance of mine who's an aerospace engineer once mentioned her score and it was about 100 points lower which made me go shocked .

Originally Posted by W'sMama
    Originally Posted by Dottie
    scores above about 730 really require near perfection.

Seriously? Wow, that's what I got and I've never considered myself very good at math. Although an acquaintance of mine who's an aerospace engineer once mentioned her score and it was about 100 points lower which made me go shocked .

DS (5th grader) never took the tests, but his friends on AoPS told him that SAT/ACT math was extremely easy compared to the middle school math competitions such as CML, AMC8, AMC10, and mathcounts. While DS took those contests in the last two years, so he is not afraid of "hard" tests. Last week, he challenge himself with the ACT online test without any prep and no knowledge of geometry and trig (he is in an Algebra 1 class).
    He scored Math+Reading+English+Science = 35+29+24+24. Composite score was 28. His math score was converted to SAT 780 with only two careless mistakes.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Originally Posted by Jeff
    you are right. the portfolio only focused on math as I don't know how to present a portfolio showing him reading 2~3 grade level above history/geography materials. but I did include award certificates of a few state level piano competitions. He is also good at chess and go game, play a few team sports at recreation level as he is not tall for his age.

Your DS sounds really talented in math and should be a good DYS candidate. Short of one of the accepted IQ tests, do you have other test scores that would support extreme high intelligence? That may make a difference if there are multiple sources of confirmation of intelligenece and achievement. Again, just my two cents, but I don't think reading 2-3 grade levels ahead will impress anyone, particularly given his current age. If you get an opportunity to supplement your portfolio, what you should provide is written output in his own handwriting without any editing or scaffolding by you. For example, can he write the next chapter for a well-regarded classic novel that is 2-3 grade level above? Of course, it is not expected to be "great," but it can demonstrate how well he internalized and applied the themes and conventions to his own writing. Regarding an interest in history, focus on what he can do with the imformation rather than the fact that he can read it. In answer to one of the questions on DS' application, I illustrated his interest/ability in history/government at age 7 by describing how well he was able to speedily applied the Constitutional Amendments to factual scenarios in an educational program designed to teach high school students the Amendments. I don't rememeber where I read it, but Davisons is not looking for art, music or athletic abilities. I also don't believe ability to play chess or go will help him on admissions.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM