Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I am trying to find a curriculum to use in homeschooling.
    Currently looking online at Beast Academy, Life of Fred and have one workbook of Singapore already in hand. (But it is far below level; one of the problems of having a kid who goes so fast through things, is that if you buy curriculum ahead of time, before you get to using it, you suddenly find he has surpassed it frown )

I know there are tons of different ones available, and it is daunting to try to find the right one, whatever that may mean. Who knew there could be so many approaches to learning basic math?

From what I can tell thus far, I think my son learns best visually, and likes to think abstractly. So I am leaning to a story-problem approach.

Could I have some help comparing and contrasting what has worked for you or cluing me into other systems you have used.
    Thus far we have just worked on ixl.com, which is great because he can just key stuff in, and writing at this stage isn't terribly great (although in past month of working on it, it has improved much). But the work on there is just test-form. Unless you get the problem wrong there is no lesson on how or why to do things. I would like to have a better basis for understanding shortcuts, and why things work.

Thank you so much for all your great input, now and always.

My DW hasn't found a silver bullet. There's no one curriculum that seems to work best. So she mixes and matches, and tailors it herself.

I bought Mighty Mind and Geoboards with workbooks. Right now I'm looking at how Waldorf form drawing grows into Waldorf geometry lessons in middle school. Very pretty!
    http://waldorfessentials.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Waldorfgeometry.pdf

I subscribed to Bedtime Math. It's making the math facts become automatic. We don't do it all the time, but we still do it.
    We just got a place value game we got out of a workbook. It has a spinner made from a paperclip hanging off of a brad. One spinner is for place values up to one-hundred-million. One spinner is for the number you write in that place value. You fill them in until you're done and then you read it.
    I don't know how old your kid is, so you might be past all this. This video explained dividing to my kid. Check out this video on YouTube:

The Apple Fractions book led to Kumon fractions and decimals. My kid reads the book at the table while I cut the apples into fractions and then bake a pie.

You're right about not knowing what they'll need or outgrow and the price of books and all, so I do a lot of teaching with a whiteboard, crayons, and paper. I read him stuff off the internet and show him videos on youtube. We do have the old singapore book set.

From what I've read, don't buy the hands on equations for how much use you'd get for what it costs. Buy Jacobs Algebra instead, which is a gentle introduction. (I haven't bought it yet). And I remember what Grinnity said once, buy middle school books and take as long as you need to work up to them and take it slow, rather than spinning your wheels and buying stuff they outgrow too quickly. Also check the math section in the non-fiction in the children's section of the library. I have found living math books there. (not life of fred, or anything).

Last edited by La Texican; 03/08/13 11:20 AM.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    One thing that I liked best about Singapore was that it was quick to get, and CHEAP to replace when DD hopped out of level.

Nothing in prepared materials is truly intended for teaching HG+ kids, so bear that in mind.

From what I can tell thus far, I think my son learns best visually, and likes to think abstractly. So I am leaning to a story-problem approach.

Yup.

My daughter has done BEST with an approach that teaches her mathematics without manipulatives, but WITH 'story problems' that challenge her to know how to problem-solve using the tools that she knows about, and encourages her to stretch and use some that she is exploring, too.

It's less right/wrong and more about "this problem is one where we HAVE to apply this new concept... or is it?"

We found that Singapore's underlying philosophy was best suited for that (of those things we tried).

Don't skip the "challenging word problems" workbook, though. That was the BEST part of the Singapore program, in my DD's opinion. She really likes those kind of applications questions for exploring math.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    K
    Kai Offline
    K
    I would choose Singapore Math with supplements like the Challenging Word Problems and Intensive Practice books.

The reason I'm not recommending Beast Academy is that it only has one level so far and with a kid who is likely to blow through more than one level per year, you'll find yourself out of levels before you know it.

As for Life of Fred, it's a fun supplement for kids who like the narrative approach, but I don't recommend it as a primary program.

http://m.youtube.com/#/user/MathMammoth?&desktop_uri=%2Fuser%2FMathMammoth

Maria Miller has a ton of great videos on youtube, so does khan academy, so does singapore math. google, for the lessons you need. If you need skip counting, google youtube for that too. youtube, how did we ever live without it?

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    P
    phey Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Okay, thanks for the help. I had worried that beast academy was only one grade so far...the grade he is working through though. But yes, it could be a prob when he finishes it. And LoF looks fun, but if you would not use it for the whole bang, then Singapore it is! Although I might just try LoF fractions for fun.
    Thanks. Of course, we might always change down the road...but that's the beauty of this thing!

U
    U
    We use EPGY as the main curriculum and supplement with Singapore. EPGY is good for getting the basics down and requires less adult time per unit kid time. Then we use Singapore for the things that it does well, like the mental math strategies and the word problems.

We've also just started also using the art of problem solving Prealgebra book and it's quite good.

AOPS is a step up from most presentations of the same material, so if you have accelerated to the point where math is challenging, you might find that it is worth going through prealgebra once at "EPGY-level" and then going back through it at "AOPS-level"

S
    S
    What about Primary Math Challenge and Math Challenge by Edward Zaccaro?

...reading is pleasure, not just something teachers make you do in school.~B. Cleary
    J
    J
    We ran out of Singapore Math and moved to Brighter Kids. My 4th grader is doing the 6th grade Geometry- it's kind of intro to geometry. It's very nice though and it seems to explain things well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM