Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 286 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    M
    M
    And michaela you crack me up - though I am sure it wasn't funny at the time.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    One quick question re my ds not being about to memorize (comprehend) in order these silly little books. He is able to recall what happens, but not always exact order (yet it's book where it doesn't matter- just 1 statement per page that doesn't build or even relate to the next page). I am worried (as the teacher sent home more books today) that this is going to discourage him about reading. I tried to tell him that I know he re- tells the story well, but he has to show his teacher. I feel like I may need/ want an alternative plan. Do you think I could record ds reading a chapter of his book and then record him re tell the chapter? I'm not sure if its him or that he's 5, but telling him to memorize it doesn't work (that's what I did at that age... And most of my life). Any thoughts?? Thanks.

I wouldn't worry about this discouraging him about reading, because you've basically indicated that we're talking about material that he would not have any interest in, or seek out on his own. As long as he's getting good recreational reading material on a regular basis, there's nothing the school can do to make him hate reading.

They can certainly make him hate comprehension questions, though.

The good news is that those tests usually involve a reading selection, and then questions, so as long as he works quickly in other areas, he should have plenty of time to refer back to the reading for those random details that satisfy the question.

M
    Melessa Offline OP
    OP Offline
    M
    Thanks Dude! As long as it won't discourage then whatever. It's a school requirement, that's it.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Dude
    As long as he's getting good recreational reading material on a regular basis, there's nothing the school can do to make him hate reading.

That depends on the kid.

The minute school started requiring DS to write down lists of what he reads and for how many minutes, he started resenting reading. It felt like an obligation instead of fun. This is something we still struggle with.

DeeDee

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    That depends on the kid.

The minute school started requiring DS to write down lists of what he reads and for how many minutes, he started resenting reading. It felt like an obligation instead of fun. This is something we still struggle with.

DeeDee

This is the point at which we start telling DD we're going to bend the rules, on account of she has already met or exceeded the goal that this tracking mechanism was designed to accomplish. So, put the title of one book you've been reading this week, say you read it 30 minutes each day, done.

Originally Posted by Dude
    This is the point at which we start telling DD we're going to bend the rules, on account of she has already met or exceeded the goal that this tracking mechanism was designed to accomplish. So, put the title of one book you've been reading this week, say you read it 30 minutes each day, done.

That's a good compromise...we just blow it off completely, and no one's called us on it (yet). I should probably get with the program a teensy bit more.

momosam - hah, I am the same way. I could not care less if DS sometimes gets a mark off on his grades for not having a reading log... The kid loves reading and typically reads for an hour or so each night before bed, I see no need to make him think of that time as part of his homework. Thankfully his teacher tends to just use reading logs as bonuses (extra tickets that week, or something). I give him the option and he often declines messing with the paperwork, and I can't blame him.

~amy
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM