Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 165 guests, and 19 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    I don't know if this is okay to post or not so someone tell me if I am out of line. I have the opportunity to have a one hour phone consultation with a psychologist who works with gifted kids and twice-exceptional kids at the Belin-Blank Center. I'd like to ask her where to head next and what we should do about our son. Here are some of my previous posts:

Sensory Issues

Gifted and ADHD

Gifted and Gut Issues

more challenge at school ....

Given what you've read about my situation, what questions would you ask? What would you bring up? I'd like to maximize my time with her and not spend the whole hour on background and my frustrations. How do I stay focused on next steps when I'm so frustrated? Does that make sense?

She'll have some background information that I just filled out and his WISC/WIAT results (I think). Many of you know that I'm struggling to find some answers to his behavior issues.

What I am is good enough, if I would only be it openly. ~Carl Rogers
    P
    P
    Petunia, MON gave you great advice. A few things I'd consider also:

1) I am not sure where your location is relative to Belin-Blank. I think a neuropsych eval would be helpful for your ds and I think others have mentioned it as well. You've had the ability/achievement testing already, but I don't think you've had any follow-up testing that is typically part of a neuropsych eval such as executive functioning, visual-motor coordination etc. I would ask B-B if they can recommend a neuropsych who is local to you for follow-up.

2) I would ask how often they see the discrepancy in overall IQ scores vs Coding in the Processing Speed subtest that your ds has and how often they see it as related to challenges for the student vs just a part of their profile that doesn't mean anything. We see the discrepancy quite a bit on these boards for students who are 2e; my 13 year old ds is one of those students with a similar discrepancy in coding, and for him, it's due to a very real disability. You mentioned in one of your posts that your ds hasn't been placed in the honors (gifted?) track LA because the school feels he can't handle it (please accept my apologies for not remembering the exact reason)... and I can't help but wonder, based on my own ds' experiences, if perhaps what has happened is perhaps whatever is depressing your ds' coding score might also be impacting his performance at school with respect to reading or written expression in such a way that he's not seen as capable there as perhaps he really is if he had accommodations. The only real way to ferret out the reason behind the low coding score is most likely going to be neuropsych testing - so for that reason, I'd be really interested to know from the B-B folks how often they see that profile (maybe a lot of non-2e HG kids also show the same profile but there parents aren't bothering to post about it :D). If the B-B folks feel it *might* be indicative of the potential for 2e in your ds, ask them where you might look for other signs (in schoolwork, behaviors, etc).

3) I'd ask how the meds he is on might potentially be impacting his test scores (particularly the coding) and also ask what there experience has been and recommendations are for getting a thorough and accurate evaluation of ability for a student who is on medication.

4) If they are familiar with schools in your area, ask for their advice on programs, how to advocate, etc.

That's all I can think of right now. Are you sending a copy of all of the test results you have to B-B and will they review them before the consult? Will they review school work samples?

Let us know how it goes!

polarbear

P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thanks, both,

All good things to think about. She won't have a copy of the test results but I think I'll send her a summary. I've got some paperwork to fill out and can send extra stuff but I don't want to overwhelm. I also thought I'd send a summary of the psychs and therapists we've seen and their comments. Might be a good idea to include my questions as well but I don't know if I'll have time to do that before Monday.

His picture concepts is a little low, too, at 12, so I want to ask about that but I don't want to get caught up in details. Is that worth asking about?

The neuropsych eval is one possibility as we haven't had one. MON makes a good point that I am stressed so I need to look at that also.

Still thinking ...

P
    petunia Offline OP
    OP Offline
    P
    Thank you both for taking the time to read my other posts and to make suggestions here. I just sent the information. It's all so confusing I don't know if I explained it at all well, but I hope she can make some sense out of it.

I did send the test results from the WISC and WIAT but not from the school. She didn't ask for school work samples and I thought about sending something but didn't know what that might be. I also filled in her questionairre and included SCAT and above-level ITBS data (although they are old), a listing of the assessments the school did, and a summary of all the doctors and therapists we have seen. Oh, and I sent the same links from above. I don't know if she'll take the time to read them but she has them if she wants.

Hope that's enough and not too much. I don't know. This is so hard and stressful and exhausting. Consult is Wednesday morning so I'll just have to wait and see what comes of it.

Thanks, again.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM