Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    JBDad Offline OP
    OP Offline

I think I saw someone else fork a topic discussion but I'm not sure how they did that...

At any rate, a friend of the family who lives 1 school district away apparently had the opportunity to enroll their GS in a mixed K/1st grade class. I wish that was an option for us, as it sounded like that worked out well. His only complaint was the transition to full day school/missing nap time. Sounds like a common issue.

A week ago we wouldn't have considered remotely thinking about possibly skipping Kindergarten for a lot of the reasons you mention. We're also wondering if it's possible to do something like a half year of K and then move into first... All topics we hope to cover with the school later this month.

JB

C
    cym Offline
    C
    My youngest (DSnow 6) skipped kindergarten. He had been to private pre-school where they did most of the things that are done in K the year before. Entering 1st grade just before he turned 5 was perfect. He made lots of friends and really groved on the routine. After half a year he was ready to move on.

For HG kids, single grade skip may not the end-all answer. The pace may be too slow--it'd be great to have compacted grades (half yr 1st, half yr 2nd, half yr 3rd, etc.)

Luckily we have a PEGs class and he went into that for the 2nd half of the year and the rest of elementary school. They can continue to subject accelerate in that setting (4th grade spelling, 7th grade reading, etc.) He can now do long division and manipulate fractions without having to sit through more addition/subtraction.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM