Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    E
    E
    CCN...

I soooooo believe what your audiologist said about audiotory processing - it is exactly what I saw with my ds. It was like he developed in reverse: SUPER strong visually (knew shapes, letters, signs, numbers by 2) but couldn't follow complex directions until more like 4. I see the opposite with my dd now. She has been able follow multi-step directions since she was tiny (could go get me her blanket and shoes upon request when she was 11 months old) but doesn't have the early ability to decode symbols the way my ds did.

Brains are fascinating.

D
    D
    I would suggest not looking at your DS in terms of learning styles (some studies have debunked the very existence of learning styles anyway)-- and instead look at what skills he has and what is missing, compared to peers. At a young age, a person should not *only* learn one way-- he should be able to take in and process information coming a variety of ways, and engage with others a variety of ways. If there is a skill or skill set missing, it is better to identify that ASAP.

You've gotten good suggestions here about speech and hearing evals; I would also talk to the pediatrician. If you think something is off, you are probably right; you may need to find the right professional to help you sort through developmental milestones.

Your school district is legally obligated to evaluate your child in all areas of suspected disability (even though he is homeschooled). That may be valuable and save you a lot of money; but a private evaluation is likely to be more comprehensive.

DeeDee

You're such an asset to the board, DeeDee. Irreplaceable, IMHO.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by Evemomma
    CCN...

I soooooo believe what your audiologist said about audiotory processing - it is exactly what I saw with my ds. It was like he developed in reverse: SUPER strong visually (knew shapes, letters, signs, numbers by 2) but couldn't follow complex directions until more like 4.

This was my DS too... except he lagged even further behind with the complex directions. He's finally pulled that together now smile

Brains are fascinating.

Aren't they? I could talk/read about this stuff for hours smile smile

S
    OP Offline
    S
    Brains are fascinating.

I agree. Thank you all for your feedback and sharing your stories. I'm sure I will be re-reading this thread again and again as I absorb this information!

P
    P
    Originally Posted by Iucounu

Hear!!!! Hear!!!! I second (and would third and fourth this if I could.)

A
    A
    If there is a pediatric neuropsych in your area, it might be worth asking for a referral so that you have a better grasp very early on of what is happening with your child. Sometimes we second-guess ourselves because our child is so obviously advanced in one area of development that we fear we're expecting too much in others. But trust your gut. You know when alarm bells are quietly ringing that something isn't quite right.

A
    A
    Originally Posted by Pemberley

Indeed. There are so many on here who have amazing wealth of knowledge, and it's quite something how willingly you all share with others of your own time and understanding.

D
    D
    Originally Posted by Pemberley

Aw. You guys are sweet.

I am paying a debt forward: when my DS was first diagnosed with AS, some very smart and kind parents bootstrapped me into the knowledge I urgently needed. Life-changing help, and I'll owe them forever.

DeeDee

Originally Posted by DeeDee
    Aw. You guys are sweet.

I am paying a debt forward: when my DS was first diagnosed with AS, some very smart and kind parents bootstrapped me into the knowledge I urgently needed. Life-changing help, and I'll owe them forever.

DeeDee

I totally agree with the nomination for DeeDee as board treasure - but also with her attitude which is so emblematic of this board - pay it forward- iit is so awesome that she experienced and was helpfed and fhen in turn is helping this is why this board works and is such a lifeline for a subset of parents.

DeHe

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM