Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 305 guests, and 13 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    Ahh, well, this was an ongoing point of disagreement with my OWN mom until the day she died, too.

Similarly, it was wrapped up in her own guilt for maybe not advocating enough for me. With the additional layer of her having been in a position of "should have known better" since she was an educator.

So we heard an endless litany of "She seems like a perfectly NORMAL ____ year old little girl to me..." complete with pointed, nasty looks at me, which was her passive-aggressive means of letting me know that I was Ruining My Child's Life Forever.

So no, I can offer sympathy. I can point out that there are probably some battles which cannot be won with any amount of truth or logic. But I can't tell you how to work this with your mom. If I knew, I'd have used it with my own. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    C
    CCN Offline
    C
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    Oh--and French immersion I think is the thing that saved my (German)dh when he was 10. It was hugely beneficial to him. (Aside from the obvious benefit of learning the language).

smile smile Oh that's good to hear (thank you!)

I think we all have a pretty good sense of how to help our kids, but like you say, validation helps too.

D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    Ahh, well, this was an ongoing point of disagreement with my OWN mom until the day she died, too.

Similarly, it was wrapped up in her own guilt for maybe not advocating enough for me. With the additional layer of her having been in a position of "should have known better" since she was an educator.

So we heard an endless litany of "She seems like a perfectly NORMAL ____ year old little girl to me..." complete with pointed, nasty looks at me, which was her passive-aggressive means of letting me know that I was Ruining My Child's Life Forever.

So no, I can offer sympathy. I can point out that there are probably some battles which cannot be won with any amount of truth or logic. But I can't tell you how to work this with your mom. If I knew, I'd have used it with my own. wink

Yes, I bet we would have lots of company! I guess I should be thankful, my mom is not passive-aggressive--she just flat out tells me, lol! And then when she doesn't listen to any truth or logic, it ends up going down the inevitable road of "I just won't say anything" ( grinnever going to happen!) or "I know, it is all my fault that you and your brother are underachievers" (It is not all her fault...but my daughter is very much like me (minus the 2E I think) and I get her, and my experiences do shed light on these decisions.)

I think I just need to give up on reason or logic and just accept that any stumbles, probably from now on, will attributed to the skip. (while knowing better myself) Sigh. Surely we will not do this stuff to our own daughters! Right?

Last edited by deacongirl; 09/07/12 08:07 AM.
    Happiest day of my life in DD's academic career was the day that she beamed from ear to ear after earning a B+ in second-semester Geometry. Truly. That felt awesome to her precisely because she had to battle back from a disastrous first midterm, on which she earned a humiliating 67%.

Exactly! My DS took his Honors Geometry class this summer and came back with a 64% on his first test. He never felt he deserved his 4.0 because he didn't work hard at it. He had no skills in preparing for a test on challenging material. He was shaken by it at first but it was the best experience for him in the end. He said at the end of the summmer he felt he earned his grade and his accelerated placement this year. He has never felt he deserved his higher placements because he does not work hard like his friends to earn them in his mind. He spends his morning at our high school and the afternoon in the middle school. His experience being pushed and challenging has made his transition go smoothly. He walked into that High School surrounded by kids years older than him confident with his head held high. The experience taught him sooooo much! He is more confident in his ability to recover from mistakes, he has learn some strong study skills, and has really learned to how to learn from his mistakes.

IMHO, we all need to know how to get up when we fall. Our kids need those skills and experiences to be prepared for life. I have no regrets about pushing and challenging him this year. It was long over due for us. smile

Last edited by Jtooit; 09/06/12 10:51 AM. Reason: Typos
    deacongirl, maybe you just need to state the principle more succinctly: "I don't want DD going to college with kinks." Sometimes it's all in the phrasing.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    D
    OP Offline
    D
    Originally Posted by Jtooit
    Happiest day of my life in DD's academic career was the day that she beamed from ear to ear after earning a B+ in second-semester Geometry. Truly. That felt awesome to her precisely because she had to battle back from a disastrous first midterm, on which she earned a humiliating 67%.

Exactly! My DS took his Honors Geometry class this summer and came back with a 64% on his first test. He never felt he deserved his 4.0 because he didn't work hard at it. He had no skills in preparing for a test on challenging material. He was shaken by at first but it was the best experience for him in the end. He said at the end of the summmer he felt he earned his grade and his accelerated placement this year. He has never felt he deserved his higher placements because he does not work hard like his friends to earn them in his mind. He spends his morning at our high school and the afternoon in the middle school. His experience being pushed and challenging has made his transition go smoothly. He walked into that High School surrounded by kids years older than him confident with his head held high. The experience taught him sooooo much! He is more confident in his ability to recover from mistakes, he has learn some strong studies skills, and has really learned to how to learn from his mistakes.

IMHO, we all need to know how to get up when we fall. Our kids need the those skills and experiences to be prepared for life. I have no regrets about pushing and challenging him this year. It was long over due for us. smile

Awesome! Thank you for sharing.

Originally Posted by Iucounu
    deacongirl, maybe you just need to state the principle more succinctly: "I don't want DD going to college with kinks." Sometimes it's all in the phrasing.

Or, "I don't want my DD to be kinky in college"

U
    U
    We're right there with you right now--DD is at a GT magnet and the math is a year ahead. They start them off slow the first year, though. This year--not anymore. She's struggling a little right now--what? I don't understand this instantly? I have to PAY ATTENTION? I must be AN IDIOT! I AM NO GOOD AT MATH! AAIIIIEEEEEEEEE11111!!!!!

(I know all the other kids in the class are going through the same thing bc I've talked to their parents)

It's very early in the year. This is the polar bear swim.

Yes, this is one of the only places where you will find a big group of people who do NOT want their kids to get all A's. Our kids deserve to learn how to fail and how to persevere, just like all the other kids in school.

P
    P
    Originally Posted by deacongirl
    So dd11 skipped 6th and is in 7th. She generally seems to be adjusting well, and until Tuesday her lowest grade on anything was a 95. Then she got the first social studies quiz on forms of government back (not the subject I imagined her having trouble with). She got a 60! Yikes! I know she studied, dh and I both discussed the information with her and it seemed like she knew it...but just not well enough. My mom is freaking out and using this as evidence that we ruined her life by skipping her.

I think it actually shows that the kid had no idea how to study and it is a good thing she will be required to. She can choose to redo one assessment during the 9 week period. She was upset of course, but I don't think she is scarred!

It is hard to discuss this with my (very involved) mother because she takes our choices for dd as a criticism of how she handled my education. Dd is usually smiling when she comes home and seems happy at school so we continue to feel the skip was the right choice.

I haven't had time to read the other replies, but my first thought is - chances are she might have received the very same 60% grade if she'd waited until next year to start 7th grade - like you, I suspect it's more related to how-to-study-skills than the *ability* to learn the work. It could also mean she wasn't feeling well during the test or whatever! And do you really know what the other kids got on the test? Maybe everyone got a 60?

We've approached middle school as the place where our kids need to learn *how* to study, how to be organized, etc - as well as a place where they can be challenged intellectually and pushed a bit so that they can soar once they reach high school. From all I've ever heard, grades on a report card in middle school don't show up in any way/shape or form on their high school transcript, but the *skills* they learn (organizational/study) absolutely will show up in grades once they hit high school, and I also believe it's really important to keep our kids excited about learning during middle school as other things like peer pressure etc kick in - and for many of our HG/EG/PG kids, keeping them excited about learning at this age means giving them intellectual challenges, not letting them sit back and earn all easy As. Do you want me to call your Mom and have a word with her laugh

Stepping off my small soap box... I would have a tough time having my mom know so much about what my dd is doing in school. My perspective is skewed of course by my own individual mom - but she tends to be critical of things, and I can't imagine having to listen to her obsess over one of my kids getting a low grade! Just remember, your mom is *your* parent, not your dd's. You're supporting your dd in the way you know is best - don't worry about what your mom thinks about this one test grade.

polarbear

ps - wanted to add, my ds started middle school in 6th, and that's the first time kids in our area get letter grades. Not getting all As on his first grade reports *really* motivated him and he's developed excellent study habits smile

Last edited by polarbear; 09/06/12 11:14 AM.
    Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM