Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #132960 06/29/12 01:10 PM
    U
    OP Offline
    U
    DS4 recently finished up this book, which I didn't choose but had on hand because DD was given it in K (and didn't really do it...I think they switched the whole class to grade 1 materials):

http://www.amazon.com/Skill-Sharpen..._9?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1341000152&sr=1-9

He would like a new math book. Any suggestions?

I think he skipped the money sections, but other than that it was easy for him. However, he is not doing 2-digit addition and subtraction yet. He also has not learned how to tell analog time. I am now giving him select easier pages out of DD's old first-grade math workbook and that is going fine as well, but I'm not sure that's exactly where he is. I think a more challenging K level book might be right, or an easier 1st grade? I really forget what you learn in these grades.

He reads well, probably approaching third-grade level now, with great comprehension (he did almost all of the previous book solo with zero help from me) so that's no obstacle. His handwriting of numbers is iffy, so it's nice when he gets to bubble in or circle his answers rather than write them. I would like it to be something I have to mess with/explain as little as possible. It could be more logic or other mathy stuff, too. I'm not looking to advance him along a curriculum or homeschool, per se, BUT we may be considering skipping K. (He will still be in pre-K this coming school year.)

Warning: I bought Singapore 2B for DD at some point and didn't care for it. I forget why. My brain just didn't love the style.

Hi UM
    We really liked this company - as it gets older its more traditional worksheet like. But the PK, K and 1-2 were pretty good and the critical thinking were very interesting to DS. The mind benders especially.

Critical Thinking Co

You can get them on Amazon, but here you can see the whole series.

DeHe

We used some of the Carson Dellosa "word problems" workbooks for enrichment when DD was 3-5 yo. The Frank Schaffer and Spectrum imprints also have some pretty good titles in this genre.

Another resource for you might be Singapore Math's "Challenging Word Problems" series, though some of the methodology may depend (a bit) on the particular sequence of skills in their primary math sequence. On the other hand, if you plan to supplement at home, you can't do a lot better than Singapore for most younger GT kiddos.

My DD ate that stuff up. She used to beg me for more problems out of those supplemental Singapore books. smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM