Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 144 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #129704 05/15/12 11:24 AM
    Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    After a worthless year of "5th grade" level math in the 4th grade GT classroom, I am finally about to take charge and do something about my third-grader's math education. It just didn't seem worth the effort/hassle before. However, I am rather disturbed to hear DS matter-of-factly explained to me why 5th grade math is so much easier than the 4th grade math he did in the 3rd grade GT classroom last year. Granted, the level of difficulty has nothing to do with the math concepts, but with the level of "proofing/explanation" required. I have not been looking at his math papers but in retrospect the fact that he aces the test with no studying and scribbles out the homework in after-care and never asks me any questions should probably have clued me in.

Anyhow, I am thinking that for 4th grade next fall, the 6th grade math with the 5th grade GT class may be more of the same. If I can get him to cooperate with a little experiment this summer to see what he can cover in about eight weeks, then I might have a better idea whether/how to approach the school for acceleration. I think he would have to test at the 8th grade level (whatever that means/covers) in order for me to accelerate him beyond the "6th grade" level curriculum. I realize that I would have to do something drastic the year after for 5th grade, so perhaps I should just bite the bullet now?

Anyhow, he is eligible for JHU/CTY on-line courses, which might have more weight with the school admintration. However, I have heard that EPGY is cheaper and completely independent. I am sure this issue has been discussed previously, but I don't recall what the consensus was.

Any opinions?

W
    W
    We do CTY just because I like non-math parts of the program for future use. And their camps seem good.

I do not know how EPGY handles the final exam. Who grades it?

With CTY your tutor grades it.

Ren

DS12 is taking a Self paced math class with JHU/CTY. So far it's been good. He moves at his own speed and the instructor has been very quick to respond to any questions he has for her. They have meet on white board if he need mores explanations. He is taking a HS level, so I can't speak for the lower level classes. He seems to be doing well with it. He is very independent on the computer and emailing his instructor. We only see the copies of emails because he really takes care of everything himself. He also uses ALEKs for any addition practice time he needs or wants. He will complete the course in 3 months. We have not used EPGY. I do believe JHU is cost more. I'm don't know if they have self paced classes for lower levels or not.

The 8th grade level could vary a lot by district. I would imagine at least through pre-algebra levels in our district. You might want to fine out what the standard placement for 8th grade is in your district. I got DS on board with summer math a few years ago by suggesting (in a very vague non discript way) that his placement might be better in the future if he worked on it over the summer. He got 3 skips in row for his efforts and he is always on board now:)

The last couple of summers he has just used ALEKs to prepare for a skip. He needs the transcript for credit this year otherwise we may have just used ALEKS. JHU uses Thinkwell videos for the class. If you just want practice and new concepts maybe Thinkwell & ALEKS would be cheaper.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    Did you find CTY's placement test to be accurate? I assumed that DS would take the 6th grade course, but I had him take the 6th grade placement test and it recommended that he take the Pre-Algebra course because he scored 87%.

Q
    OP Offline
    Q
    I took a look at Thinkwell. So JHU lectures for its online courses use the Thinkwell lectures? Thinkwell is a lot more affordable but you have to pay for each class and they have 6th, 7th, 8th grade math before Algebra. Then there is a separate Pre-Algebra course that must be geared toward 9th graders who are not ready for Algebra.

In our district, students may take Algebra anytime from 6th grade to 9th grade. I believe 8th grade is probaly the most common. I am not sure whether they are as strict about the "at least 2 years ahead" to accelerate when you get to that level. Theoretically, DS would have to pass Algebra 1 to start the course on Pre-Algebra.

DS took the 6th grade test in Aleks and CTY and passed both. Does Aleks use lectures? At this point, I am debating between CTY and Aleks (maybe with Thinkwell lectures thrown in).

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM