After a worthless year of "5th grade" level math in the 4th grade GT classroom, I am finally about to take charge and do something about my third-grader's math education. It just didn't seem worth the effort/hassle before. However, I am rather disturbed to hear DS matter-of-factly explained to me why 5th grade math is so much easier than the 4th grade math he did in the 3rd grade GT classroom last year. Granted, the level of difficulty has nothing to do with the math concepts, but with the level of "proofing/explanation" required. I have not been looking at his math papers but in retrospect the fact that he aces the test with no studying and scribbles out the homework in after-care and never asks me any questions should probably have clued me in.

Anyhow, I am thinking that for 4th grade next fall, the 6th grade math with the 5th grade GT class may be more of the same. If I can get him to cooperate with a little experiment this summer to see what he can cover in about eight weeks, then I might have a better idea whether/how to approach the school for acceleration. I think he would have to test at the 8th grade level (whatever that means/covers) in order for me to accelerate him beyond the "6th grade" level curriculum. I realize that I would have to do something drastic the year after for 5th grade, so perhaps I should just bite the bullet now?

Anyhow, he is eligible for JHU/CTY on-line courses, which might have more weight with the school admintration. However, I have heard that EPGY is cheaper and completely independent. I am sure this issue has been discussed previously, but I don't recall what the consensus was.

Any opinions?