Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Is the teacher a math or STEM grad? Or has a MAT teaching degree?
    Sounds like she does not know the material.

Geometry is the first real class with proofs and to get an "A" the student should show good ability with proofs. The skipping of the right triangle stuff is scandalous.

What does the teacher's boss say about this?

Originally Posted by MegMeg
    Originally Posted by Val
    We water down the textbooks to make the material "accessible" and when it's still too much, we just skip stuff and pretend that the kids are still learning geometry. Then these kids get to college and wonder why they get stuck in remedial classes or wonder why college-level material is too hard for them.

Actually, what we've done in response to this is water down college too. Which makes it a self-fulfilling prophesy that "anyone can do college level work."

AMEN.

My DH and I were both bemused last year when DD's geometry course included so few proofs. This was an honors class, and it was certainly rigorous in other ways (after all, one dis/advantage to a virtual school is that you simply work your way through the syllabus and anything that you don't complete on time becomes a zero... sooooooo... in that respect, the grades DO mean more, I suppose)...

on the other hand, when even the textbooks begin skipping this stuff because most kids find it "too hard" then where does that leave gifted students who'd be better served by learning the inductive reasoning process, hmm?

I was so sad this year when, in World Civ, DD learned about Sir Francis Bacon and 'inductive reasoning' and had no really concrete examples from which to draw herself. Public school hasn't provided any. frown

The Socratic method, on the other hand... now THAT she's got some direct experience with, since I pretty much don't have another mode as a teacher. LOL. wink

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    The Socratic method, on the other hand... now THAT she's got some direct experience with, since I pretty much don't have another mode as a teacher. LOL. wink

There is no better teaching method for math than the Socratic method. In fact, any STEM class.

The older I get, the more I appreciate my math education via the Socratic method.

This is a wonderful intro to Socrates and the ideas set within the context of his time in Greece.

http://www.amazon.com/Socrates-Man-Times-Paul-Johnson/dp/0670023035

I'm reminded, however, of the line that Sally Field delivers in Murphy's Romance, when explaining the process of cleaning a horse's teeth:

"Some horses resist this procedure..."

ROFL.

Indeed. What an understatement. A great many students 'resist' Socratic methods in the same manner. It feels uncomfortable and frightening to older students that have always been told WHAT to think to suddenly be asked questions by a teacher, rather than "told" answers.

I learned to gently stop and look students in the eye and say; "You have to trust me. I'm leading you in the right direction, but you have to go with it for a bit to get there, okay? It takes a little longer this way, but it's worth it because it teaches YOU how to be the expert at tackling problems-- not just this problem."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.
    Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Originally Posted by Austin
    Is the teacher a math or STEM grad? Or has a MAT teaching degree?
    Sounds like she does not know the material.

Geometry is the first real class with proofs and to get an "A" the student should show good ability with proofs. The skipping of the right triangle stuff is scandalous.

What does the teacher's boss say about this?

First questions, I don't know.

The teacher's boss did not reply to my email.

Update: she also skipped the chapter about polygons.

Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
    I'm reminded, however, of the line that Sally Field delivers in Murphy's Romance, when explaining the process of cleaning a horse's teeth:

"Some horses resist this procedure..."

ROFL.

Indeed. What an understatement. A great many students 'resist' Socratic methods in the same manner. It feels uncomfortable and frightening to older students that have always been told WHAT to think to suddenly be asked questions by a teacher, rather than "told" answers.

I learned to gently stop and look students in the eye and say; "You have to trust me. I'm leading you in the right direction, but you have to go with it for a bit to get there, okay? It takes a little longer this way, but it's worth it because it teaches YOU how to be the expert at tackling problems-- not just this problem."

That doesn't even apply to just children. I frequently employed the Socratic method to train new techs when I was in the Navy. They teach you the basics in school, and then you get to learn about the individual components, but the task of understanding the entire system as a unified whole, and how it ties into so many other components that aren't under our direct control, is left as an OJT experience.

So I was in the process of throwing questions at a new guy when another I had trained previously walked in the room. He turned to the new guy and said, "You probably think he's just being an a-hole, but he's really just trying to make you think." Later on I caught up with the older guy, and asked him if that's what he thought when I was training him. The answer was an unequivocal affirmative.

So said the smartest guy I ever trained.

A
    A
    I'm still stuck on the "mathy" mind crack. She's clearly never a met a kid like dd16, who thinks in equations. We've met too many teacher's like this one to pretend she's an anamoly.

Sounds as if you may have to augment your child's education with some geometry lessons.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Update:

DS's math teacher is on leave for a couple of months. The sub discovered that she'd skipped three chapters in the textbook --- 25% of the course. So the new teacher decided that everyone was going back to chapter 5, which was the right triangles chapter that I mentioned in my first message. That's good. They're only going to finish 3/4 of the course this year, though, so I wonder what's going to happen.

The saddest thing of all is that DS told me that someone in his class (a bright kid, apparently) said that his parents send him to this school because "the math program is so good."

Did I mention that they have a math competition club after school for the higher achievers? During the first semester, the kids spent four weeks painting the parking lot.

I'll note again that DS is allowed to study math independently, and we're grateful for that. But that doesn't mean I can't be somewhat appalled that the geometry teacher has been allowed to get away with this and that a school can cheat kids out of math instruction by using them as free labor.

Val Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Updating this again, primarily because it's good to get it out to a group that understands.

The regular math teacher is back. The subs had gone over most of the stuff she had skipped, but this left the kids only ~70% of the way through geometry with 3 weeks left in the school year.

So she skipped 1.5 chapters, and now they're doing one section of each remaining chapter per day. She hands out photocopied summaries of the section, which everyone memorizes overnight in preparation for a daily quiz. Needless to say, each quiz is very basic. So that's 20 minutes per quiz and 30 minutes to go over the stuff on tomorrow's quiz.

I'm not sure how long the class will be able to keep this pace. Even if they do, by my count, they'll still come up a section or two short. But at least the teacher will "finish" the course. frown

B
    B
    I personally feel bad about this geometry experience for the kids. And the experience all the kids are being exposed to with such an attitude toward math in general.

When I was in high school there was one particularly bad year with budget cuts and other things (which I won't get into but it was fall-out from a broader socio-educational experiement).

In January a whole bunch of teachers got their "pink slips" and some carried on regardless with fantastic integrity no matter what was going on, and some called in sick as much as possible. My geometry teacher came in each day, sat at her desk with her arms folded, stared out the window and wouldn't write on the board, open the book, or talk about geometry. There was some physical choas/disruption in the classroom, which the teacher completely ignored, but I tried to keep away from it and used to look at my texbook and try to teach myself.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with geometry. It is so cool and interesting but I'm sort of "afraid" of it. I sometimes think of taking an online class or something so that when my DD starts learning it for real I can be more comfortable.

And that painting the parking lot thing is beyond appalling.

Last edited by bzylzy; 05/10/12 09:59 AM.
    Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM