I personally feel bad about this geometry experience for the kids. And the experience all the kids are being exposed to with such an attitude toward math in general.

When I was in high school there was one particularly bad year with budget cuts and other things (which I won't get into but it was fall-out from a broader socio-educational experiement).

In January a whole bunch of teachers got their "pink slips" and some carried on regardless with fantastic integrity no matter what was going on, and some called in sick as much as possible. My geometry teacher came in each day, sat at her desk with her arms folded, stared out the window and wouldn't write on the board, open the book, or talk about geometry. There was some physical choas/disruption in the classroom, which the teacher completely ignored, but I tried to keep away from it and used to look at my texbook and try to teach myself.

I've always had a love/hate relationship with geometry. It is so cool and interesting but I'm sort of "afraid" of it. I sometimes think of taking an online class or something so that when my DD starts learning it for real I can be more comfortable.

And that painting the parking lot thing is beyond appalling.

Last edited by bzylzy; 05/10/12 09:59 AM.