Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 355 guests, and 11 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    B
    B
    My DD hated writing in preschool (age 4/late B-day) but I thought it was way too young anyway. I learned to write my name in 1st grade! And it took alot of my energy. Before that it was playdough, doll clothes and hair, drawing with crayons...it was so, so long ago in a Mr. Rogers' world.

My DD did like to take a stick outside and dip it in a puddle and write letters on the driveway and watch it evaporate. She did this herself though, her idea. Though I still don't think she was 3, maybe 3.5 on toward 4, before she went to preK.

I've heard of kids using fingers paints on big pieces of paper and writing letters in the sand, though again I don't know at age.

Neurologically, and physcically, I don't think young humans have caught up from an evolutionary standpoint to what is being asked of them at such a young age. There were always the kids at storytime etc. at age 2, 3, 4 where I took my DD who could write letters and do little fussy crafts and I thought "good for them" but I didn't feel bad about my own child, since I thought honestly it was a bit young. If they are leading the way, definitly follow and support them but don't push...that's strictly my opinion.

I started mine with writing lessons when he was 2, but he didn't start writing letters. He started with kumon mazes (they're not really mazes). They will follow your finger tracing on piece of paper if you're playful, just saying how, not saying mine wasn't early with the fine motor skills. After the kumon mazes we got a kumon letter tracing. I showed him letters are mostly sticks and circles. I had him memorize writing the #s while he practiced tracing the letters, because there's less of them. Then he copied letters, with instruction. Then he wrote letters from memory. Then we got HWT 2nd grade to practice writing the letter strokes in the right sequence, but at the same time covering sentence Grammer, when to capitalize, & punctuation marks rather than just practicing penmanship when he already wrote recognizable letters, just needed to learn the correct strokes. I'm really happy with the progress. I'm not saying if some kids can or some kids can't, just outlining the steps we took very successfully.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    Funny, my kid might learn to write a proper sentence before I do. smile

We are Homeschooling DD who is 8yo. We live in PA. She tried PS last year/beginning of this year and it was a dismal failure but hey, she sure appreciates homeschooling now! So that is a HUGE positive!!!

~ Christine smile
    Homeschooling DD in PA
    My older girls were writing by 3 but he isnt. I have heard boys are slower at motor skills. The only reason I am trying to come up with stuff to teach him is because he wants to do school. Thanks for all the great writing advice. He is hopefully starting a headstart program next year just so he can be around other little boys. In our family of 6 he is the only little boy, his daddy gets upset that he likes playing with dolls and dress up clothes, though he loves trains and cars too.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM