Posted By: Amber Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/19/11 05:19 PM
Post here if you homeschool!
Posted By: Amber Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/19/11 05:21 PM
We are HS'ing K, but unsure of the plan for 1st. smile
Posted By: galtgrl Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/19/11 08:57 PM
Here!

2 in 10th, 6/7th, & 1st....
Posted By: melmichigan Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/19/11 09:02 PM
Present. DD11, twin DD8's, DS6, and tag along DS3.
Posted By: no5no5 Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/19/11 10:02 PM
I'm here (though I rarely have time to post these days), homeschooling my 5 year old DD.
Posted By: passthepotatoes Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/19/11 10:26 PM
I've found TAGMAX to be a helpful and busy list.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong thread.
Posted By: RobotMom Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 12:09 AM
We're homeschooling DD8.5, mix of grades 4-6 ish and DD3.5 kinder.
Posted By: kimck Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 12:33 AM
We homeschool a 2nd grader and 5th grader age wise, but use materials from all over the place.
Posted By: jesse Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 12:46 AM
laugh

home learning with DD8, range from 4th to 6th grade material
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 01:28 AM
Us!

DS, 5 and really DS nearly 3 who wants to do everything big brother does. Can I claim I'm teaching DS almost 6 months too? smile

Passthepotatoes I'm sinding it hard to get onto that. I've tried twice and had two different errors.
Posted By: aculady Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 01:47 AM
Homeschooling DS 14.
Posted By: Staceyshoe Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 12:26 PM
I'm homeschooling ds (age 6). We're using materials designed for several different grade levels. I've been struggling with the constant adjustment--finding the perfect thing and in a few months, it's no longer a fit. We feel very thankful to have the option of homeschooling however.
Posted By: Amber Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Staceyshoe
I'm homeschooling ds (age 6). We're using materials designed for several different grade levels. I've been struggling with the constant adjustment--finding the perfect thing and in a few months, it's no longer a fit. We feel very thankful to have the option of homeschooling however.

Yes, we are pretty much unschooling right now,because I'm at a loss. :-/ I'm not sure if I will ever feel confident about this!
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 01:43 PM
Partial homeschooling my DS11 and LOVING it! smile
Posted By: La Texican Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 02:24 PM
I'm still here with my ds4 & dd1. Just ordered the next round of Singapore books and MCT's Peter Pan. TWTM's practice of separating narration, dictation, and copy work. Supercharged Science is our splurge. Introducing history maps, timelines, and stories, nothing complicated. We don't do everything. We just do a little of something every day and make a little progress.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255839&page=1
Posted By: Belle Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 02:26 PM
We are in our 4th year of homeschooling DS8 - we are doing a mix of 4-6th grade
Posted By: CAMom Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 03:11 PM
1st year homeschooling DS 8 who is in 4th grade on the books, in 6th grade at the kitchen table!
Posted By: CAMom Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 03:13 PM
Double post- sorry!
Posted By: LNEsMom Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/20/11 03:22 PM
Cecilia (or others), can you share how you partial homeschool and how you worked it out with the school? I have heard of people doing this and I would love to do something like that, but I am not sure how to go about it!

Posted By: Lori H. Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/20/11 06:17 PM
Homeschooling 13-year-old son.
Posted By: LetsDoMath Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/20/11 07:41 PM
Homeschooling DD 5.5 grade "glad I don't really have to come up with A number", with tagalong DS 2.25
Posted By: donnapt Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/21/11 01:51 AM
I homeschool my 9yo dd. I home schooled all 3 of my kids up until 2 years ago when my boys (14 and 16yo) began going to ps.
Posted By: Mom2MrQ Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/21/11 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Amber
Post here if you homeschool!

We homeschool ds 7 and would have it no other way, but we're finding it very difficult to stay with him. We use something similar to TWTM, but still find it difficult to challenge our DS. I think he really needs to be moved up a couple of years, but he's a bit asynchronous and it's difficult to find his level in the various areas. When we have managed to find it, he just blows right past in no time and I'm back to the drawing board. This fall I started scheduling only six weeks at a time. This has worked well, but it's not ideal by any means.

Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/21/11 04:29 AM
I am so glad to hear all those "can't keep up" stories! That makes me feel a lot better! I can't either!

Any tried and true answers out there?
Posted By: 2cool4school Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 10/21/11 11:46 AM
Here. HS'ing my wild 11 year old man-child.
Posted By: minniemarx Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/22/11 12:28 AM
I'm homelearning with my three lovely boys, Harpo (10), Groucho (8), and Chico (6).
Posted By: GeoMamma Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/22/11 10:16 AM
Its fantastic to have so many of us here!
Posted By: Terrilth Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 10/28/11 12:38 AM
We do too! My eldest dd will be 8 on Saturday and my youngest dd is 6. smile
Posted By: LighthouseKeeper Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 11/22/11 07:25 AM
Homeschooling here, with several young children. The eldest is officially a 2nd grader. My preference is for classical education, but I can't figure out how to implement it in a way that's developmentally appropriate and not too parent-intensive. I think the heavy stuff will have to wait until they're a bit older.

In the meantime, we're using EPGY and workbooks for the basics, and something along the lines of unit studies for everything else. The house is a mess, but the children are learning a ton. smile
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 11/22/11 12:54 PM
Just starting ...yesterday, with unschooling for a bit for ds11, who seems delighted. Classics and fun stuff is going to be our focus, throwing in a few things he'd never get in p.s.: Japanese and Philosophy, oh and bread baking.

House will remain a mess, I am sure.

Posted By: 2giftgirls Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 11/22/11 02:17 PM
Going on a couple weeks now with Butter (DD8) currently 3rd grade. We actually do independent study at a district school so, don't throw anything at me, but I feel like we get the best of both worlds. They gave us all the books and consumables and a contract that outlines the pacing the regular schools move at. I do the majority of supervising (because so far, I haven't had to "teach" the child anything ;)) at home...she has one optional class period for 3 hours plus 1/2 hr lunch once a week. The teacher covers science (with FOSS kits, they are good), guided writing and some odds and ends. They might have a benchmark or end of year test. On other days, she takes Multimedia, Drawing (for 6th+, but teacher is welcoming her) and Art (so 3 hours of art on Friday!), Games Club (all ages) and she wants to add guitar (same teacher as multimedia and he is impressed with her). They also have a peer tutoring lab, computer lab and of course library, etc. It's K-12, so they have an ASB that puts together fun events like ice cream socials and laser tag! lol!

I CANNOT SAY IT ENOUGH...I AM LOVING THIS SET UP!!!! Butter is a DREAM at home and is enjoying spreading her wings with lots of art and library time. It's great having the support of the school and I hope we can make it work for a long time.

I do have another DD 4yr 8mo that we put in a private K this year since she doesn't meet the cutoff. At this time, I would NOT consider homeschooling her, lol!
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Homeschoolers roll call! - 11/23/11 12:33 PM
Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
I do have another DD 4yr 8mo that we put in a private K this year since she doesn't meet the cutoff. At this time, I would NOT consider homeschooling her, lol!

Lol, I was afraid to say the same about my dd5.5, but it is true. But really, she is doing soooo much better than ds ever did in the school, friends and social-wise, right now it is an ok fit for her. (still awkward academically).
Posted By: MamaJA Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 11/23/11 02:03 PM
I'm home schooling dd5.5 with dd3 as a tag along!
Posted By: Sweetie Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 11/23/11 02:18 PM
I used to homeschool and we are considering it again...will make a final decision in mid-January.
Posted By: MyHeartBrks Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/16/12 03:35 AM
Homeschooling my 6th grader after a academic nightmare K-5.
I can't keep up with him but my very bright 3rd grader is challenging me big time...

Thanks to this board I know I'm doing the right thing by him.
Posted By: jojo Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/16/12 03:50 AM
Only temporarily! My daughter is in quarantine. I've really enjoyed "home-schooling" and cant believe how much she gets done at home. The incessant talk is driving me just a little bit batty (!) and I'm not sure how I would ever get any paid work done if we ever did this long term, but it's been a great week!
Posted By: Wyldkat Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 01:42 AM
We homeschool through an Independent Study Program for my older son, Wolf(7). He's working from 3rd through around 8th somewhere. Bear(5) is in the Headstart PreK Home Visit program, so he's basically homeschooled too, but heck if I know what levels he's working at since he won't demonstrate his skills unless you catch him or trick him.
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 10:23 PM
I am homeschooling dd 6-k and 1st through k12 she is doing first grade math which she already passes, we are just going over that and a few things to make her reading more perfect for kindergarten work. I was told by her teacher that she is doesnt need to take the test at the end of the year like the other students because she already passed it. With my dd 5 she isnt old enough for k through school so she is doing first semester k work in phonics from her older sisters books and is doing math workbooks I give her and does language arts and history with her older sister. My ds 3 we are starting this week hooked on phonics k and working on shapes and colors more and trying to get him to write. He already knows his letters he just refuses to write them.
Posted By: aculady Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by trinaninaphoenix
. My ds 3 we are starting this week hooked on phonics k and working on shapes and colors more and trying to get him to write. He already knows his letters he just refuses to write them.

A 3-year-old boy really may not be ready to write from a developmental motor perpective. I wouldn't push writing at this age unless he really showed an interest in it. His refusal could be because he needs to develop better hand, shoulder, and arm strength, stability, and coordination first, which would be entirely age-appropriate. If he wants to play at spelling and composition, but doesn't want to write, you can use refrigerator letters or scrabble tiles or even a computer keyboard in the interim, or have him use his fingers to draw or sculpt letters in sand, shaving cream, play-dough, etc.

Here is some more information on determining writing readiness and good pre-writing activities.
Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 10:51 PM
I might do that. I have a hard time teaching hooked on phonics because it doesnt make since in my brain. I plan to use it to teach him the letter sounds. With writing I have a book that works on just drawing lines so I might do that with him instead of writing letters and we have magnets he can use for the spelling if he wants. So we can do that. I also have games from jump start he can play but he isnt really good with a mouse. So it takes him lots of work. Thanks for the advice.
Posted By: bzylzy Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 11:18 PM
My DD hated writing in preschool (age 4/late B-day) but I thought it was way too young anyway. I learned to write my name in 1st grade! And it took alot of my energy. Before that it was playdough, doll clothes and hair, drawing with crayons...it was so, so long ago in a Mr. Rogers' world.

My DD did like to take a stick outside and dip it in a puddle and write letters on the driveway and watch it evaporate. She did this herself though, her idea. Though I still don't think she was 3, maybe 3.5 on toward 4, before she went to preK.

I've heard of kids using fingers paints on big pieces of paper and writing letters in the sand, though again I don't know at age.

Neurologically, and physcically, I don't think young humans have caught up from an evolutionary standpoint to what is being asked of them at such a young age. There were always the kids at storytime etc. at age 2, 3, 4 where I took my DD who could write letters and do little fussy crafts and I thought "good for them" but I didn't feel bad about my own child, since I thought honestly it was a bit young. If they are leading the way, definitly follow and support them but don't push...that's strictly my opinion.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 11:26 PM
I started mine with writing lessons when he was 2, but he didn't start writing letters. He started with kumon mazes (they're not really mazes). They will follow your finger tracing on piece of paper if you're playful, just saying how, not saying mine wasn't early with the fine motor skills. After the kumon mazes we got a kumon letter tracing. I showed him letters are mostly sticks and circles. I had him memorize writing the #s while he practiced tracing the letters, because there's less of them. Then he copied letters, with instruction. Then he wrote letters from memory. Then we got HWT 2nd grade to practice writing the letter strokes in the right sequence, but at the same time covering sentence Grammer, when to capitalize, & punctuation marks rather than just practicing penmanship when he already wrote recognizable letters, just needed to learn the correct strokes. I'm really happy with the progress. I'm not saying if some kids can or some kids can't, just outlining the steps we took very successfully.
Posted By: La Texican Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/18/12 11:27 PM
Funny, my kid might learn to write a proper sentence before I do. smile
Posted By: hinotes Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/19/12 12:54 PM
We are Homeschooling DD who is 8yo. We live in PA. She tried PS last year/beginning of this year and it was a dismal failure but hey, she sure appreciates homeschooling now! So that is a HUGE positive!!!

Posted By: trinaninaphoenix Re: Homeschoolers role call! - 03/19/12 06:45 PM
My older girls were writing by 3 but he isnt. I have heard boys are slower at motor skills. The only reason I am trying to come up with stuff to teach him is because he wants to do school. Thanks for all the great writing advice. He is hopefully starting a headstart program next year just so he can be around other little boys. In our family of 6 he is the only little boy, his daddy gets upset that he likes playing with dolls and dress up clothes, though he loves trains and cars too.
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum