Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
    herenow: it was in a situation where saying what I wanted to say would have been a huge regret...so I am proud that I held my tongue....this time.

B
    B
    Originally Posted by Dude
    If I may play the armchair psychologist role for a bit, I'd say that I agree with your analysis, but that there's a whole other level of stress and insecurity involved as well. As parents we're forced to make it up as we go along, and I think most of us realize we're screwing up in certain ways. But unless one of the parents works directly with kids in the same age group as their own children (teacher, coach, psychologist, pediatrician, etc.), we don't have any sort of frame of reference for what's normal, we only know about our own kids.

So, one way for a concerned parent to get a progress report on themselves is by surveying other parents of kids in the same age bracket. Thus, "What level is your child reading at?" becomes a proxy for the real question, "How am I doing?", with all the anxiety it implies. The parent who asks this question is wondering if they're doing enough to help their child develop. If you drop the bombshell that yours is reading at level T, this parent experiences two visceral reactions:

"OMIGOD, I'M A TOTAL FAILURE!"

and

"That parent is EVIL, because I'm pushing as hard as I can already, and if I pushed my dear child that hard, there would never be time for either of us to sleep!"

This concludes my armchair psychology session, which will do as a distraction until the NFL season resumes.

I agree with your analysis of why people act as they do, but they might act differently if they were better-informed. If people were more accepting of the heritability of intelligence and the relationship between intelligence and academic achievement, they would be more fatalistic and worry less. When the media stresses environmental explanations of why some kids do better in school than others, parents feel pressured to create the perfect environment.

Last edited by Bostonian; 03/12/12 08:34 AM.

"To see what is in front of one's nose needs a constant struggle." - George Orwell
    Originally Posted by Bostonian
    I agree with your analysis of why people act as they do, but they might act differently if they were better-informed. If people were more accepting of the heritability of intelligence and the relationship between intelligence and academic achievement, they would be more fatalistic and worry less. When the media stresses environmental explanations of why some kids do better in school than others, parents feel pressured to create the perfect environment.

Isn't it something like 80% genetic / 20% environmental?

Even 20% gives a lot of wiggle room for environmental competition.

And then you get into the entire area of neuroscience and brain plasticity.

Last edited by JonLaw; 03/12/12 09:12 AM. Reason: Mispeeling due to practicing law and posting at the same time.
    Val Offline
    Originally Posted by Bostonian

I don't think they'd act differently. I think that people actually do realize that talent (including IQ) is largely inherited, whether they like to talk about it out loud or not. A child's abilities are reflection of his parents' abilities. This, in part, is driving the pecking moms (and occasional dads). Remember that blog post that Joyce Slaton wrote? She was the one who wanted an "Amazing Super Child who was going to prove to the world how 5-star my DNA is...."

What are braggart parents doing but putting their DNA and superior parenting skills on the table to show them off? Being proud of your child is a wonderful healthy feeling, but there are some parents who go past the wonderful healthy aspect of it and head into getting territory that's not healthy.

Say a group of insecure people are jockeying for position in the DNA/parenting skills hierarchy. Junior's skill acquisition is the currency they use to climb the tower. They're all in roughly the same place, and getting into the highest group is a reasonable possibility with a bit more of the right kind of effort.

Then someone else comes along and says that her five-year-old is reading Magic Tree House research guides....well, other parents could react as though someone just, emm, peed on their DNA and parenting skills. I'm not trying to be crude here. I can't think of a better way to say it.

And IMO, announcing that, "Oh, we don't push her, she pulls us --- she just loves to read," can make things worse. It says that the other person's superior parenting skills aren't so superior after all.

Added: I'm not trying to excuse the mean-spirited reaction described in the OP. I'm just trying to find a way to explain it.

Last edited by Val; 03/12/12 09:33 AM. Reason: More detail added
    In our case, there is no DNA...so often we hear...Why are you pressuring these kids??? As if they should be fortunate enough to have been "rescued" and elevated to "regular kids". I used to argue...but now...it is all about protecting the dds from idiocy!

E
    E
    Originally Posted by Mamabear
    Then she said, "You are so lucky to have a slower kid like ..... raising a gifted kid is such hard work!"

I'm torn between "well, that was fresh!" and just goggling at her like I'd been struck dumb.

"I love it when you two impersonate earthlings."
    I did the "struck dumb" with an internal grimmace.

L
    OP Offline
    L
    So many of you offer great food for thought and I don't think I've ever analyzed in such depth why the other parents react how they do.

Just to clear something up...

I am ALWAYS uncomfortable when asked about DD5 and her schooling/abilities. I truly have never encountered anyone who doesn't have at least a small problem with it. I did not, however, start out being uncomfortable with it... the reactions of people taught me that this is a TABOO subject. However, I am not a shrinking violet when asked...my feelings are not how I outwardly act. To other Moms I'm rather blase about it and I tend to try to joke it off. I believe in this instance.. I made a joke about how all kids have their strengths and weaknesses... "as you can see.. she doesn't know how to throw a ball."

I think I have probably approached this in every way imaginable... seriously. I actually think ahead of time what to answer because it ALWAYS comes up... especially when DD5 says something "inappropriate for her age"

such as...

"Oh, your ice is melting because the molecules are heating up."

As for it being regional... that's an interesting idea. It definitely goes along with small, southern town mentality. Or, perhaps, it's just because I'm in an area with a population of little education. What a great research idea!

I like the thought that its like asking "how much money do you make?" GOOD POINT!

I think my post was mostly me just wanting to rant a minute... that there are so few people out there who do "get" it. Because, as I've said... it's lonely.

and not just for me... but for my DD

L
    OP Offline
    L
    and Mamabear... good grief... what a witch!

W
    W
    Originally Posted by Littlewisestone
    I think I have probably approached this in every way imaginable... seriously. I actually think ahead of time what to answer because it ALWAYS comes up... especially when DD5 says something "inappropriate for her age"

such as...

"Oh, your ice is melting because the molecules are heating up."

That's inappropriate? (Coming from a mom whose 5 year old used the word googleplex correctly, understanding it's meaning, at 3.)

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM