Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    2 members (jenjunpr, aeh), 161 guests, and 14 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    DS9 is subject accelerated into pre-algebra; he is starting to find it a little too easy, and is asking if he can take algebra on-line. He however wants a class with other students and not just an on-line program. I am not sure the public school district will accept any DL course. Also I am hesitant to move him from pre-algebra to algebra this late in the year.
    Potential concerns are getting the school to agree to skip algebra next year (If they allow a DL course) and having him take honors geometry at the HS. Finding a course that pushes him (I like the aops, but I am unsure if it�s accredited). Also I am trying not to offend current pre-algebra teacher and next years algebra teacher, The pre-algebra teacher is doing a great job and has helped me start a math counts group at the school and the algebra teacher has helped out at each meeting. Unfortunately our district has a weaker math program compared to other districts. DS9 is pushing to find other students to work with in math that are more like him. I can find them in math competitions (very strong students) but none in our district. Any ideas are welcomed.

W
    W
    I asked a similar question a few weeks ago. I did not require an accredited option though. Our school told me that she could do anything to get the content and they will just have her take the end-of-the-year algebra test that she would be taking if she were in the class. That is enough for our district to prove she knows the content.

The responses I got on this forum were great. The one I most remember was purely online though (that's the one we are choosing) - it's called ALEKS. I also heavily considered EPGY, but it was quite expensive. You may want to search algebra to see what else people suggested. Good luck!

Edwin Offline OP
    OP Offline
    Thank you, I did go back and follow the threads. We used EPGY a few years ago albit just the program, no actual class, DS9 liked it but he wants to be in a class. Thats why we are considering skipping another year. My concern is addressing the school and convincing them the on-line course is ok. It was a huge deal just to get him in MS (6th-8th) last year.

D
    D
    http://cty.jhu.edu/ctyonline/math/courses/algebra1.html

http://www.ctd.northwestern.edu/gll/courses/core/fall2011/#Mathematics

http://www.artofproblemsolving.com/School/index.php?

I can't speak to the quality of any of these courses, it's just what I found when I was going through my bookmarks. Good luck!

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM