Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Part of the reason for the change is to find a school that isn't convinced that they know what gifted kids look like and that their school is full of them, but instead will be willing to see that she is different and address her needs as they find them.
    Unfortunately this isn't at all uncommon.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Blind.JPG
    Apparently Giftedness is very much like an elephant.

Good news that the public school is ability grouped across grade. That's a good thing, and will shrink the LOG problem. Of course, the following year can be a problem. Hummmmm
    Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    S
    Multiage classes will be very interesting next year with the introduction of the new uniform national Australian curriculum too. My DD school nearly disbanded all their multiage classes for next year due to it's introduction. The curriculum is extremely specific about exactly what is taught, how often assessed etc. My DD will be in a 6/7 multiage and I have to now officially apply for language arts subject acceleration for her to do Yr 7 work in the classroom ( she is enrolled in dist Ed Yr 9 math so no problem.) Evidently any year 6 student MUST do the stated curriculum and assessment to the exact letter for year 6. Don't really know what this will mean for gifted kids. Previous years no problem, she just worked with the top level kids in the year above.

I agree with the new curriculum standardization across states to make it easier for families to relocate as regards education, but the implications of this very specific curriculum is a bit of an unknown at this stage..... Well so I have heard anyhow !!

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Grinity, love the pic! The public school is not ability grouped at all. It's just a bog standard local school, most of public schools in my city run predominantly mixed age classes, it's just what they do.

When I spoke the principle she said "No, we've never had anyone like her here, we have no gifted program... We do get gifted kids occasionally. If she came here we would put her into yr 1 of a 1/2 class with an individual learning plan." When she realised the gender problem in that class (as I had asked about gender balance due to it being an issue at DDs current private school), she then came back and said "We used to believe that gifted children should be kept with their age group, but now the evidence shows us they are better off being accelerated. The gender balance is worse than I thought in that class and she should not go k/1. We could put her in yr2? Is she ready for yr2?" So either she already knew about current research on gifted kids and acceleration before talking to me, or she went and read between phone calls. I don't really care which it was - either way she is open to both reading AND following research! And she's flexible.

She's clear what she CAN'T promise, ie she can pick this year's classroom and teacher and thinks it will work (if the all-the-girls-are-2yrs-older thing turns out ok), but she can't promise what next year will look like. She's quite open in admitting that this setup will either be brilliant or a disaster. She's also open to turning this into a double acceleration to keep DD with those older girls if DD does hit it off with them and does bootstrap herself up to their level as a result.

She was able to give direct examples of how the school had differentiated for children in other situations that needed it, this teacher in particular.

Basically we are choosing them not for their programs or gifted cohort but for their honesty, straightforwardness and willingness to play it by ear and try to come up with something that works.

The montessori has a little more of the "We know what we are doing and it works for all kids" thing going on - but they actually did seem to accurately assess her and thus "know what they were doing" more than her current school :-). And they have the wider age cohort, both because it's a three year span and because there would be kids closer to her age in the class...

I think we are leaning towards the public school but it's a very hard choice. I am feeling pretty crippled by indecision.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Stephanie - that is interesting and worrying re the impact of the national curriculum.

C
    C
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    When I spoke the principle she said "No, we've never had anyone like her here, we have no gifted program... We do get gifted kids occasionally. If she came here we would put her into yr 1 of a 1/2 class with an individual learning plan." When she realised the gender problem in that class (as I had asked about gender balance due to it being an issue at DDs current private school), she then came back and said "We used to believe that gifted children should be kept with their age group, but now the evidence shows us they are better off being accelerated. The gender balance is worse than I thought in that class and she should not go k/1. We could put her in yr2? Is she ready for yr2?" So either she already knew about current research on gifted kids and acceleration before talking to me, or she went and read between phone calls. I don't really care which it was - either way she is open to both reading AND following research! And she's flexible.

She's clear what she CAN'T promise, ie she can pick this year's classroom and teacher and thinks it will work (if the all-the-girls-are-2yrs-older thing turns out ok), but she can't promise what next year will look like. She's quite open in admitting that this setup will either be brilliant or a disaster. She's also open to turning this into a double acceleration to keep DD with those older girls if DD does hit it off with them and does bootstrap herself up to their level as a result.

She was able to give direct examples of how the school had differentiated for children in other situations that needed it, this teacher in particular.

Basically we are choosing them not for their programs or gifted cohort but for their honesty, straightforwardness and willingness to play it by ear and try to come up with something that works.

My 2pworth: that attitude is really, really valuable and not to be turned down lightly! You're lucky to be in a situation where it isn't a no-brainer to go with that school, IMO :-)

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    M
    OP Offline
    M
    Yes I really agree, but 2yrs to the next youngest girl in her class is kinda scary... I think we just have to bite the bullet.

C
    C
    Sure, I understand. You've talked about the possibility that she'll get on fine with the girls 2 years older, but don't forget the possibility that she'll get on fine with the boys 1 year older (even if she shows strong girl-preference now). At DS's school there's some tendency for boys and girls to split into groups along gender lines, but not all of them go along with it. DS is one who doesn't, and doesn't seem to have had any trouble from this.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    S
    S
    I have a very girly, boys don't exist girl in 4th grade. There are no girls at her level in her class. There is one boy. She does most of her math with this boy and it seems to be going well. At first I was concerned, but without all that girly distraction stuff and someone at her level of learning who give her a "run for her money," she seems to be able to focus really well. She is also the only girl in Chess Club. She says she doesn't like being the only girl and that she should have taken Drama class with the girls instead of chess. But I see her growing from the experience and maybe boys are becoming more exsitant to her!

I can see how it could be a problem if access to girls was restricted EVERY day though. But, you said the girls will be two years older. The girls in DD9 class are her age but way more imature...either way, they have to figure out how to fit in.

M
    OP Offline
    M
    Indeed I do think she will play with the boys, in fact her only friends at her current school are boys. But according to all the books on helping kids build friendships she is entering the age where same sex friendships are most important and I would like that to be possible for her...

A crystal ball would be nice :-). The reality is she is not going to fit in anywhere that well.

A
    A
    My DD has always preferred girls as friends, but I preferred boys until I was in 3rd grade (so about 8). I think there's a good chance you have a few more years before you need a deep pool of potential girl friends.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM