Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 258 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    #115967 11/10/11 06:27 AM
    S
    OP Offline
    S
    Ds is in Singapore 3, and we use the CWP and IP books with it. I'm realizing that it contains far more review than he needs, and he's grown to hate math. Frankly, I think he's ready for a big step up. His WISC showed that his ability for abstract mathematical reasoning is very high, and he intuitively solves algebraic equations now (even when it requires things like negatives and multiplying fractions which he has never been taught to do).

So, I'm debating whether to continue with Singapore and just go quickly (maybe skipping over the place value and measurement sections which he has already mastered). Or should we stop Singapore, continue practicing multiplication and division, and do the "Key To" series for fractions, decimals, and percentages? In other words, should we just speed up our current program? Or should we switch to "filling in the gaps" he needs to make the jump to algebra? Advice please!

Last edited by Staceyshoe; 11/10/11 06:29 AM.
    I'd stick with Singapore, do selections from the CWP to supplement, and use curriculum compacting. You can use the end of section exercises as pretests, and throw in a smattering of review questions to keep his calculation skills sharp without excessive drill. By compacting you can go faster but still find and plug holes.

Striving to increase my rate of flow, and fight forum gloopiness. sick
    B
    B
    We had to drop Singapore. We switched to the topical workbooks with Math Mammoth. It's the same type of math, but much easier to telescope. It has games and word problems built in. We'll still use the CWP books from Singapore. Singapore 3 is a drag. I love being able to print off only what we need and handing it to the kid.

Bean

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM