Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 216 guests, and 18 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
    OP Offline
    ok...

we have a one week contract. After we go to the psychologist Tuesday, I will decide if I want our principal to call the local school and send her there right off the bat or if we want to transfer her as a homeschooler to either the homeschooling "school" or the virtual one. Apparently we might not be able to switch right over to our local school, but would absolutely be able to do so over the winter holidays. But I still want testing first, then I want a meeting with the principal of local school to determine if they will be able to meet her needs...

I had to go in the classroom to help DD clean out her desk and collect her stuff. I got the distinct impression that the teacher was none too pleased...but the counselor looked me square in the eye and said "Take her somewhere else"

DD didn't shed a tear as we walked away!

I get excited when the library lets me know my books are ready for pickup...
    Originally Posted by 2giftgirls
    .but the counselor looked me square in the eye and said "Take her somewhere else"

Oh my gosh, so glad you are out of there. That is awful. Your poor daughter.

S
    S
    Just for the record, I encountered Mrs. K. today, she's harsh and abrupt. So glad that my Mr. B has Mrs E.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    OP Offline
    oh Kate, I mean that in a good way. I have been waiting for someone to tell me. Last year's teacher told us to take her somewhere else and now I see what she really meant.

S
    S
    Gee, I heard the same thing. And last year we were both reluctant to do so. Now it's a new year. Gonna miss our parking lot chats though.

~SDMom
    Every step taken is on the right path even if we don't know exactly where it will take us.
    OP Offline
    we can meet ANYWHERE else instead! Starbucks and museums sound more fun than the parking lot!

A
    A
    Originally Posted by SDMom
    Gee, I heard the same thing. And last year we were both reluctant to do so. Now it's a new year. Gonna miss our parking lot chats though.

Do I see the makings of a PG homeschool co-op?

OP Offline
    talked to DH tonight...I think he wants me to go ahead and homeschool her until at least winter break, which I am willing to do, but will wait until I talk to the psychologist on Tuesday. So then I would have the same decision of MEA or Connections...

S
    S
    I'm not bothering with MEA -- lack of acceleration does not appeal to this household.
    I wonder how many PG homeschoolers there are near us? Haven't found a group for one yet.

~SDMom
    C
    C
    You're by definition not likely to find many *P*G homeschoolers - having two together is unusual enough! - but maybe if you put out a call for "people who are homeschooling mainly or partly because school wasn't providing enough challenge" you might build a group that worked? Something to think about in the New Year, perhaps.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM