Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 241 guests, and 17 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
    #114404 10/21/11 09:02 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    My son is a great reader, but reluctant at times, and loves books with pictures still (he's 8, 3rd grade). I've taken him to Barnes and Noble to look at the comic books - and the only one he's shown any interest in (and we've bought a couple), is "Futurama". None of the super hero ones appeal to him. Anyone know of any others that might interest him ? Thanks !

NCPMom #114407 10/21/11 09:09 AM
    J
    J
    Have you tried Magic Treehouse? It has only a few pictures but my son loved them at that age. I mean, he started staying up until 11 pm with a flashlight under the covers to read it covertly.

NCPMom #114408 10/21/11 09:11 AM
    R
    R
    Asterix?
    Calvin & Hobbes?
    Garfield?

Lots of great graphic novels out there, too. A favorite with DS6 and DS9 is Clan Apis.

NCPMom #114409 10/21/11 09:11 AM
    P
    P
    My DS7 (almost 8) really likes these. Someone told my you can buy some of them at the checkout stand at some Safeway stores.

http://www.archiecomics.com/

oh, and my DS loves Calvin too.

Last edited by Deonne; 10/21/11 09:11 AM.
    NCPMom #114412 10/21/11 09:16 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    He has a few graphic novels - and really enjoys the Geronimo Stilton books - I'm just kind of looking for comic books, I think he thinks they're just more fun than a book wink I'll have to check out Calvin, Archie etc - thanks smile

NCPMom #114415 10/21/11 09:26 AM
    My ds was the same way; humorous books always hit a much bigger note with him than any other kind, except: books with PICTURES! Combine these two and it's almost always a winner for him.

you might want to check out the manga graphic novels, there are several series that are good for kids:
    Hikaru No Go is a great one about a kid possessed by an ancient Go playing spirit guiding him in his pursuit of becoming a pro Go player.
    as for books, previously he was a huge Captain Underpants fan. Now he loves the diary of a wimpy kid books, Origami yoda books, enjoyed 'Science Fair', and is currently checking out the series 'Mad Scientists club' suggested on this forum.

NCPMom #114416 10/21/11 09:29 AM
    A
    A
    DS loved the Sonic comics at that age. They feature the characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. He reread them until they were falling apart!

Did he read the Captain Underpants books? Those were a very big hit with both kids. Followed by the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

NCPMom #114419 10/21/11 09:55 AM
    Val Offline
    Have you tried a comic book store? they're good for browsing, which can be more of a challenge online.

When I was young, I enjoyed classic Disney comics, such as Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck adventures written by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa. Barks, especially, was something of a genius. My eldest likes these comics, too.

Have you tried Big Nate? My nine-year-old loves Big Nate.

Val #114428 10/21/11 11:49 AM
    N
    NCPMom Offline OP
    OP Offline
    N
    Originally Posted by Val
    Have you tried a comic book store? they're good for browsing, which can be more of a challenge online.

When I was young, I enjoyed classic Disney comics, such as Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck adventures written by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa. Barks, especially, was something of a genius. My eldest likes these comics, too.

Have you tried Big Nate? My nine-year-old loves Big Nate.

You're a genius - I've only ever looked in B and N with him for the comic books - but we do actually have a comic book store nearby ! Duh !! LOL - thanks - think we'll be checking it out this evening ! smile I don't think he's read big Nate - but he should, it's almost his own name smile

NCPMom #114429 10/21/11 11:54 AM
    H
    hip Offline
    H
    Some of these have been mentioned already, but I'll second them because ds12 and dd10 read them so much:

Asterix
    Tintin
    Calvin & Hobbes

You might also want to look at:

Pogo, by Walt Kelly - I loved it as a kid, and my kids fell in love with it this past summer; lots of books, but many are out of print (available used via Amazon though)

Bloom County, by Berke Breathed

Dilbert

Jellaby

The Tick

Moomin, by Tove Jansson (the comic strips collected in book form, not the chapter books)

Bone, by Jeff Smith

PS 238, by Aaron Williams, about an elementary school for kids with superpowers

Will Supervillains Be on the Final? by Naomi Novik (author of the His Majesty's Dragon series) - I think it's also about kids with superpowers

Then there are, as previous posters said, comic-book or graphic-novel renderings of lots of kids' books. Dd liked the comic-book versions of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and the graphic-novel versions of James Patterson's Maximum Ride series; ds has a graphic-novel version of one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels but seems to prefer the text version.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM