Gifted Issues Discussion homepage
Posted By: NCPMom Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:02 PM
My son is a great reader, but reluctant at times, and loves books with pictures still (he's 8, 3rd grade). I've taken him to Barnes and Noble to look at the comic books - and the only one he's shown any interest in (and we've bought a couple), is "Futurama". None of the super hero ones appeal to him. Anyone know of any others that might interest him ? Thanks !
Posted By: jack'smom Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:09 PM
Have you tried Magic Treehouse? It has only a few pictures but my son loved them at that age. I mean, he started staying up until 11 pm with a flashlight under the covers to read it covertly.
Posted By: remalew Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:11 PM
Asterix?
Calvin & Hobbes?
Garfield?

Lots of great graphic novels out there, too. A favorite with DS6 and DS9 is Clan Apis.
Posted By: Percy Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:11 PM
My DS7 (almost 8) really likes these. Someone told my you can buy some of them at the checkout stand at some Safeway stores.

http://www.archiecomics.com/

oh, and my DS loves Calvin too.

Posted By: NCPMom Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:16 PM
He has a few graphic novels - and really enjoys the Geronimo Stilton books - I'm just kind of looking for comic books, I think he thinks they're just more fun than a book wink I'll have to check out Calvin, Archie etc - thanks smile
Posted By: chris1234 Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:26 PM
My ds was the same way; humorous books always hit a much bigger note with him than any other kind, except: books with PICTURES! Combine these two and it's almost always a winner for him.

you might want to check out the manga graphic novels, there are several series that are good for kids:
Hikaru No Go is a great one about a kid possessed by an ancient Go playing spirit guiding him in his pursuit of becoming a pro Go player.
as for books, previously he was a huge Captain Underpants fan. Now he loves the diary of a wimpy kid books, Origami yoda books, enjoyed 'Science Fair', and is currently checking out the series 'Mad Scientists club' suggested on this forum.
Posted By: AntsyPants Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:29 PM
DS loved the Sonic comics at that age. They feature the characters from the Sonic the Hedgehog games. He reread them until they were falling apart!

Did he read the Captain Underpants books? Those were a very big hit with both kids. Followed by the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series.

Posted By: Val Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 04:55 PM
Have you tried a comic book store? they're good for browsing, which can be more of a challenge online.

When I was young, I enjoyed classic Disney comics, such as Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck adventures written by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa. Barks, especially, was something of a genius. My eldest likes these comics, too.

Have you tried Big Nate? My nine-year-old loves Big Nate.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by Val
Have you tried a comic book store? they're good for browsing, which can be more of a challenge online.

When I was young, I enjoyed classic Disney comics, such as Uncle Scrooge or Donald Duck adventures written by either Carl Barks or Don Rosa. Barks, especially, was something of a genius. My eldest likes these comics, too.

Have you tried Big Nate? My nine-year-old loves Big Nate.

You're a genius - I've only ever looked in B and N with him for the comic books - but we do actually have a comic book store nearby ! Duh !! LOL - thanks - think we'll be checking it out this evening ! smile I don't think he's read big Nate - but he should, it's almost his own name smile
Posted By: hip Re: Comic books ? - 10/21/11 06:54 PM
Some of these have been mentioned already, but I'll second them because ds12 and dd10 read them so much:

Asterix
Tintin
Calvin & Hobbes

You might also want to look at:

Pogo, by Walt Kelly - I loved it as a kid, and my kids fell in love with it this past summer; lots of books, but many are out of print (available used via Amazon though)

Bloom County, by Berke Breathed

Dilbert

Jellaby

The Tick

Moomin, by Tove Jansson (the comic strips collected in book form, not the chapter books)

Bone, by Jeff Smith

PS 238, by Aaron Williams, about an elementary school for kids with superpowers

Will Supervillains Be on the Final? by Naomi Novik (author of the His Majesty's Dragon series) - I think it's also about kids with superpowers

Then there are, as previous posters said, comic-book or graphic-novel renderings of lots of kids' books. Dd liked the comic-book versions of Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow and the graphic-novel versions of James Patterson's Maximum Ride series; ds has a graphic-novel version of one of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels but seems to prefer the text version.

Posted By: minniemarx Re: Comic books ? - 10/22/11 12:32 AM
My kids love the Dan Dare series (they're reprints of old British ones, set in the future--like about 2015!--so they're unintentionally hilarious).

mm
Posted By: DeeDee Re: Comic books ? - 10/22/11 01:38 AM
When DS was at that particular hurdle I found a trove of old Disney comics at Half Price Books for a quarter apiece. (Mostly Donald Duck, some Goofy etc.) He read them until they fell apart. He liked Peanuts at that stage too.

He then moved to Diary of a Wimpy Kid, still likes Big Nate. The Ellie McDoodle series is a lot like these, but about a girl.

He's over the intense need for pictures now, but for a while it drove my shopping.

DeeDee
Posted By: Val Re: Comic books ? - 10/22/11 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by NCPMom
LOL - thanks - think we'll be checking it out this evening ! smile I don't think he's read big Nate - but he should, it's almost his own name smile

How did it turn out? Comic book stores can be great.
Posted By: triplejmom Re: Comic books ? - 10/22/11 04:53 AM
DS reads the Captain Underpants books he has till they fall apart, over and over...i swear he recites them in his sleep ( I for one can't stand them but I listen anyhow ). He also loves Sonic, Archie, and all the little thin magazines in the kids section ( glossy pages ) that are cartoon in nature. He reads them for quick times he doesn't want to sit down with his novels, or wants some quick entertainment.
Hitting up a comic book store is a great idea! (I may try and look one up next time we head to the bigger city away from middle of nowhereville we live in )
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Comic books ? - 11/02/11 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by Val
LOL - thanks - think we'll be checking it out this evening ! smile I don't think he's read big Nate - but he should, it's almost his own name smile

How did it turn out? Comic book stores can be great.

I think he was a bit overwhelmed in the store - there was alot to look at (they also sell sports cards, and he was disappointed that they didn't have any soccer cards). He picked out a couple, and got some freebies - but they haven't been as big a hit as I was hoping frown
Posted By: Skylersmommy Re: Comic books ? - 11/02/11 04:56 PM
NCPMom, have you tried horrible science magazines? It has a comic book style to it. My youngest dd is just crazy about these. It has stories, science facts, plenty of pictures, comes with a goody (like a little plastic skeleton they put together) The only thing if he is sensitive about gross things he may not like it.
Good luck smile

Posted By: ultramarina Re: Comic books ? - 11/04/11 04:09 PM
No one's mentioned Peanuts! Peanuts can keep you busy a LONG time.
Posted By: Kareninminn Re: Comic books ? - 11/04/11 06:49 PM
My son loved Missle Mouse graphic novels.
Posted By: Mousemom Re: Comic books ? - 11/14/11 03:33 PM
More a graphic novel, but my son love The Secret Science Alliance. His copy is literally dog-eared. We also do comic book stores-one comic a week, usually anything in a kids version that has to do with Green Lantern!
Posted By: JonLaw Re: Comic books ? - 11/14/11 03:48 PM
Old Popeye comics are good too. I read a ton of them when I was younger.

That, Calvin and Hobbes, Peanuts, and Bloom County. Bloom County was big when I was in 7th grade.
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Comic books ? - 11/14/11 04:05 PM
Originally Posted by Mousemom
More a graphic novel, but my son love The Secret Science Alliance. His copy is literally dog-eared. We also do comic book stores-one comic a week, usually anything in a kids version that has to do with Green Lantern!

He got this last week at the schools Scholastic Book fair - and devoured it !! I then went to Amazon "people who bought this book also bought"...and found a few graphic books for him to check out. We wandered around Barnes and Noble - he liked the look of Sonic, bought an Archie babies book, and saw a few more he liked the look of. smile We're getting there - he's certainly reading more than he used to, which is the goal smile
Posted By: DeHe Re: Comic books ? - 11/14/11 06:01 PM

He got this last week at the schools Scholastic Book fair - and devoured it !! I then went to Amazon "people who bought this book also bought"...and found a few graphic books for him to check out. We wandered around Barnes and Noble - he liked the look of Sonic, bought an Archie babies book, and saw a few more he liked the look of. smile We're getting there - he's certainly reading more than he used to, which is the goal smile

we third or fourth grin the Super Science Alliance - I wish the author would move faster and put out another one. We just got the first two Squish - he's an ameoba - its hilarious!!

DeHe
Posted By: Mousemom Re: Comic books ? - 11/15/11 02:29 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there will be any more SS Alliance books! My son has been writing to the author (who is amazing), and she tells us that there aren't any plans for a follow up at this point. My son's copy is falling apart. Eleanor Davis was wonderful to him, and his MANY questions.
Posted By: Mousemom Re: Comic books ? - 11/15/11 02:31 PM
An interesting site is The Graphic Classroom, for more reviews and discussion of the use of high quality graphic novels. (Not sure if it's OK to mention blogs on here?)
Posted By: DeHe Re: Comic books ? - 11/15/11 05:35 PM
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think there will be any more SS Alliance books! My son has been writing to the author (who is amazing), and she tells us that there aren't any plans for a follow up at this point. My son's copy is falling apart. Eleanor Davis was wonderful to him, and his MANY questions.

that is so sad, totally junky story lines go one for piles of books and a really good one is just the one! frown

cool though that she corresponded with him!
Posted By: NCPMom Re: Comic books ? - 11/16/11 01:35 AM
An interesting site is The Graphic Classroom, for more reviews and discussion of the use of high quality graphic novels. (Not sure if it's OK to mention blogs on here?)

Thanks so much for this site - just what I need !! smile
© Gifted Issues Discussion Forum