Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 318 guests, and 27 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Gingtto, SusanRoth, Ellajack57, emarvelous, Mary Logan
    11,426 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
    T
    T
    Originally Posted by MumOfThree
    Where as if your child is more of the thinks-great-thoughts-but-needs-help-with-the-basic-facts type, then you may actually need to do work with them to enable the progress they want to make - which might then leave you wondering if those hot housing accusations are justified.

Personally, I don't think that working with your child is hot housing--especially when it's to get your child the tools to do something that he or she is yearning to do. I think that there are a lot of leapers who need support with some of the basics because they jump over that stage of learning following the bigger, more abstract concepts and thinking. One of the easiest places to see this is with young writers whose ability to express ideas and feelings in writing is well outside the norm, but who may have spelling and punctuation that no one would ever point to as proof of giftedness. A supportive teacher or parent provides opportunities for the child to soar with the expressive aspect of writing, while working on bulking up the spelling and punctuation.

To my thinking, leapers aren't always kids who absorb facts and never need any facilitation to learn anything. It seems to me that some leapers are the kids who swallow ideas whole and have difficulty motivating themselves to go back and fill in the details. I'm thinking that both kinds of kids need an instructional approach that minimizes in-class repetition and maximizes pace and depth.

I think part of the problem is that we are parenting these children in communities and schools that still operate under a lot of myths about giftedness. When schools still operate under the premise that "gaps" negate giftedness, we either need to work on filling in the gaps or resign ourselves to having our children starve in classrooms that have nothing to offer other than the filling in of a few gaps. As that is intolerable for our children, it becomes intolerable to us too.

M
    M
    Wise words Taminy. I actually don't think I hothouse my kids at all. But I think I have taken that to the extent of coleslawing them for fear of it being inappropriate to work on stuff because it wasn't AGE appropriate. Seriously I have done more work on using a fork than I have reading, but the reading is going better than for fork usage. Sigh.

And Annette - I absolute agree with the bit of your post that GM quoted.

Last edited by MumOfThree; 08/25/11 10:08 PM. Reason: to add more... nak-ing and distracted
    T
    T
    this may seem a bit of an aside, but I wanted to add that my DD5 makes herself fairly hothouse proof because she sings, hums, wiggles, jumps, and blurts the whole time we try to do anything. Even math facts were sung in theatrical voices. Ah, it can get on my nerves and so I can only take so much LOL Anyone elses kid do anything like this?

Originally Posted by TwinkleToes
    this may seem a bit of an aside, but I wanted to add that my DD5 makes herself fairly hothouse proof because she sings, hums, wiggles, jumps, and blurts the whole time we try to do anything. Even math facts were sung in theatrical voices. Ah, it can get on my nerves and so I can only take so much LOL Anyone elses kid do anything like this?

My son has started to speak like a robot. It's really OTT when he uses his robot voice when he's also talking by sounding out each letter of a word.

Originally Posted by Grinity
    Where we live, lots of people have 'semi-hothoused' plants that move inside for the winter, or start in a hothouse as seedlings and move outside after being 'hardened off.'

I think that because a lot of our childrens' difficulties come from being 'asynchronous' rather than truely alien, that being so careful about the growth requirements academically is mostly needed during childhood years. At 15 it's appropriate for my son to be able to balance his needs with other kid's needs in a classroom - at 7 it was just asking too much of him. Plus in his current environment it truly is a question of balance, since he is often getting his learning needs met. At 7 the classroom was very different, and the expectations for balance were quite a bit more lopsided. If he had been a high EQ kid in a classroom that was meeting 45% of his learning needs, I would have expected more from him in terms of going with the flow.

So that's my personal definition of hothousing...certainly not the standard, just mine.
    Grinity

Your observation reminded me of some species of plants in our area. For the first year, a newly planted variety must have it's nurturer water throughout the summer and fall. After the first year, they have established their tap root and can be left to water themselves for the most part.

L
    L
    To Twinkletoes: Yes smile

Also wrt gaps, I hear this a lot from our school. While sometimes they have a point my issue is that it really shouldn't take a year to fill in some of these gaps? Example, order of operations. Student hasn't ever really been exposed to exponents but knows basic order of operations. it shouldn't take weeks of teaching to explain an exponent, what it means and that it comes first after evaluating parentheticals? I'm thinking maybe a very short session, not weeks of practice, right? I'm constantly reminded by friends that my paradigm is off......

Originally Posted by annette
    I did buy flashcards once when she was two and starting to read because I was excited by it, and the first time I showed them to her, she knew every word and so that was it for us.

That's how my teaching attempts go to. I find he already knew it or he learns it once and that's that.

I have to say that these debates are making me want to get out his addition flashcards. I bought some flashcards on sale thinking that we would use them eventually. I tried them out for fun and HE LOVED THEM. I felt so ridiculous using flashcards that I put them away again.

I'm smiling over the talk about flashcards. I hated them as a child and really hated when my mom "hothoused" me in forth grade when she was told by the teacher that I was doing my multiplication work at school by super-fast finger counting.

So, along comes DS. He's a mathy type who has loved numbers as long as I can recall. He would/still demand(s) counting at night instead of a story to relax.

I thought, "He will like flashcards!" Um, he does. Just not in the way tradition dictates they be used. His idea of flashcard use is to throw them around the room. Pick a few up and look at them and throw them down again. Maybe place all the 1 times cards in a row. Maybe place all the cards with an answer with "4's" in them in a row.

Is he learning? Yes. Just how he wants.

OP Offline

Yes. But I often set him up then go wash dishes and keep checking in.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar
    U
    U
    The real question here is why is teaching a young child his colors considered hothousing but teaching him to use a fork isn't? Teaching him to use the potty or throw a ball is fine, but teaching him to do addition is not.

Right. I spent some time thinking about this myself when DD was a toddler and seemed especially ripe for hothousing (although I know I could also hothouse her easily right now by plopping her in front of Khan Academy videos....man, that place is amazing). Why are some things okay to teach and others are not? I guess fork skills are a life skill whereas academics are more specialized, but...? And we did absolutely hothouse some physical skills with no fear that anyone would "think anything." But that was to get her up to age-appropriateness. I guess perhaps the assumption is that teaching can be painful and that one should not prolong the "pain" by moving the child past an age-appropriate level?? Thus far and no further? Is that it?

In any case, DD was already REALLY different as a toddler and I felt like I didn't want to accentuate it any more. I was accused of hothousing once, by a nurse, of all people (I forget what DD had done to merit this)--she said, in tones dripping with scorn, "Oh, I see you WORK with her a lot." It remains a vivid memory--probably too vivid.

Last edited by ultramarina; 08/27/11 07:29 AM.
    Originally Posted by ultramarina
    I was accused of hothousing once, by a nurse, of all people

Not sure how to take this one. Did you feel this way because the opinion was unsolicited? Hoping it is not a dig at the profession. wink

Tomorrow is always fresh, with no mistakes in it. — L.M. Montgomery
    Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Beyond IQ: The consequences of ignoring talent
    by Eagle Mum - 04/21/24 03:55 PM
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM