Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 187 guests, and 16 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    Word_Nerd93, jenjunpr, calicocat, Heidi_Hunter, Dilore
    11,421 Registered Users
    April
    S M T W T F S
    1 2 3 4 5 6
    7 8 9 10 11 12 13
    14 15 16 17 18 19 20
    21 22 23 24 25 26 27
    28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
    C
    C
    My dd12 took the SAT in both 6th and 7th grade and the ACT in 8th. She was 10 the first time she took the SAT due to a grade skip. She's not one of those way, way out there kids. I wasn't aware that it was that common either until we started with the talent search testing in 4th at the school's suggestion as part of the grade skip eval. Taking college admission tests early no longer looks odd to me either wink !

S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    kcab...u r in CT too?

I asked for a PPT and was denied, but it was by the secretary. Hmm. Still and IQ test seems to be the next step. Did I say algebra was offered in 6th? It's pre algebra....they have three math groups. Regular (Everyday Math), Accelerated Math, or pre-algebra....and then in 7th grade, Reg. Math, Pre alegbra or algebra. Pre algebra is usually taught in 8th grade normally for the reg students. The VP thought that a student that they have in 6th grade now is in geometry. She was a bit confusing though and wasn't sure of the details. I just wonder how a child who was not allowed to skip in 4th or 5th, and stayed with his regular grade, was able to skip pre algebra and algebra.

Questions I tried to ask while talking with the VP, but she quickly changed the subject and I'm not "quick enough" to know what's going on until after!

I wonder if you are near me in CT. I asked for a "placement exam" to be given and she said they don't have them.

Thanx for your comments...I love hearing what other people are doing and it's giving me the power to push on. I would have quit by now if it wasn't for this forum. smile

Originally Posted by sydness
    and all of you guys who say that even if the IQ test shows ME that I need to keep pushing, then it would be worth the money...

I am flip flopping so much. I'm gunna call around and see what they cost. Why is everyone taking the WISC and not the SB?
    One needs more credentials to administer the SB, so fewer folks give it. All the flip flopping is how we all started - and part of the role of the tester is to be a reliable helper to help us manage that flip flop feeling.
    Since I don't this the school is going to tell me which they like better...I may have to chose myself.
    Get a meeting with the Principle, a 'here's where we've been and here's my concern' meeting - and ask this question. They may not answer, or they may volunteer the school to do it, or they might answer. Keep hammering home the social - emotional card and that you want what is best for your child - and that some children have very unusual needs.
    [/quote]
    I did inform her current teacher of what I was requestion for next year and said.."I assume a teacher recommendation helps." No response.
    Next time you will be more direct. A heartfelt: "Can you help get my daughter's educational and social needs met by writing a letter of recommendation?" is what is needed. No 'hinting' - ok? Aim to ask for 'exactly' what you would like, and use the body language and tone of voice to sent the 'I'm very nice' message. The fact that you've listened calmly to the other person's message should help there too.

Best Wishes,
    Grinity
    [/quote]

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com
    S
    sydness Offline OP
    OP Offline
    S
    We are also on the shore...kcab! lol! WOW! And this being our first year in the town DOES make it hard to figure out what is going on!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by blackcat - 04/17/24 08:15 AM
    Jo Boaler and Gifted Students
    by thx1138 - 04/12/24 02:37 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 04/08/24 12:40 PM