Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    OP Offline
    We had our meeting with DS9's principal yesterday. DS is currently accelerated 2 years in math. We had requested that he also be accelerated in science next year. He had also taken the end of 5th grade math test that determines whether you skip 6th grade math and go straight to 7th grade/pre-Algebra, and we were supposed to be given the results.

So, he scored very highly on the test and thus he will go to 7th grade math at the middle school next year (there was some discussion of him doing online math, but thankfully that wasn't their proposal, as DS likes working with other kids). We will have to take him to the middle school for math for period 1, pick him up after math and drive him up to his own school (luckily both are only a couple minutes away from our home).

They nixed the science acceleration. Allegedly the scheduling would have tricky (they have a rotating period for 6th grade science) and he would have had to miss his specials to make it happen (they could of course changed some of the schedule, but they apparently are not willing to do so. They did say he could do his own science, and he will be mentored by the 6-12 science curriculum supervisor, who is supposed to be terrific.

I am mixed. They still obsess about his emotional health, which makes me crazy, and I am always skeptical about inclass enrichment, because I find it often does not actually happen, but I do feel like they are being reasonable, and I do understand that the scheduling between 2 schools can be hard. Once he has a history with going to the middle school for math (which I am confident will be just fine) they will be more likely to let him accelerate in science next year probably. What do you think?

OP Offline
    Kcab-

They only have pull out for math enrichment, 50 minutes once a week. DS won't go most of the time (because it is at the same time as math, and he will be at the middle school at that point) . Language arts is a push-in enrichment once a week, which he will do - it isn't really a big deal, but should be nice.

Our science is the same way as yours, it isn't an actual set "period" in elementary - that is part of their concern. If DS went to middle school for science he would always be missing something else. I can respect that, even if I would reach a different outcome (or figure out a way to schedule it so that it wouldn't be an issue).

I am hopeful that one thing we might be able to do is have him on the middle school robotics team. He has worked with older kids on robotic projects before, and done just fine, so it seems like that might be a good bridge (they are just starting robotics at the middle school I believe).

I continue to be amazed at the school district's concern that the older kids will be mean or bully him (we have a very strong anti-bullying program here). Has anyone had a bullying issue with a kid who was accelerated so much? Our experience this year was that the older kids really took him under their wing and were super nice to him - he was kind of a mascot. In fact, this year, the kids in his math class asked that he be included in their 5th grade yearbook! I am much more concerned about the receiving middle school teacher than I am about the kids!

Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 05/23/11 03:12 PM. Reason: typo
    C
    C
    Originally Posted by Catalana
    I continue to be amazed at the school district's concern that the older kids will be mean or bully him (we have a very strong anti-bullying program here). Has anyone had a bullying issue with a kid who was accelerated so much? Our experience this year was that the older kids really took him under their wing and were super nice to him - he was kind of a mascot. In fact, this year, the kids in his math class asked that he be included in their 5th grade yearbook! I am much more concerned about the receiving middle school teacher than I am about the kids
    I wonder whether it's that they have experience of kids who are a bit young for the group and/or a bit clever being at greater than average risk of bullying, and they assume that being a lot young and/or a lot clever must be the same only more so? Whereas actually, perhaps, a child who is simply outside the normal age range for the group is not a target in the same way. We've also encountered the concern.

Email: my username, followed by 2, at google's mail
    OP Offline
    I think there are a variety of concerns all wrapped up, but I guess since the scheduling is tricky it all becomes moot anyway.

ColinsMum, I agree with you. I see bullying as typically a power type play, and do not think, in general, that a much younger child would be a target, simply because they are not a threat to the social dynamic by and large.

I am starting to accept the district's plan, in part because my DS seems nervous about the middle school (although he is also very excited and happy), far more than he seemed about going up to 5th grade but in his current elementary school. It is not extreme nervousness, but I can see the benefits to having him do just this one class, and not have to deal with room changes and hallways and lockers, etc. Assuming it all goes smoothly (which I fully expect), he will be in a much more confident place to do more the next year.

Thanks so much for the insights! Cat

Last edited by Catalana; 05/24/11 05:41 PM.
    C
    C
    We are lucky that our Principal was able to find a middle school teacher (8th grade) to mentor our DS10 for science. Our school is K-8. Our son goes for science in that class every day, except for one day when he has book club. This is during Language Arts time for his own class. When his classmates are working on their science, then my son needs to finish the work that he misses.

Yes, there is a trade-off. Sometimes he doesn't have as much time as his friends to finish his work. And sometimes he just wants to do science again with his friends! Can't have too much, I suppose wink On the other hand, he is really happy and thankfully, the 8th graders are really nice to him.

This pull-out started last February. I have to say that even before he got this pull-out, his 5th grade teacher was really good in designing lesson plans with open-ended projects / homework. The open-ended nature allows children to go as deep as they want.

Last edited by Cocopandan; 05/25/11 08:21 AM.
    OP Offline
    Cocopandan,

I totally agree, in terms of science, the key is to have a flexible primary teacher, who will let DS move at his own pace and follow his interests, while still working off the 4th grade curriculum. I believe the principal has that in mind as class assignments are made (fingers crossed).
    Cat

W
    W
    To Cocopandan: What happens next year when he needs HS science? Do you have the plan for next year?

I was following this and wondering how they handle it once they require HS level courses.

Ren

S
    S
    Hi, I'm new here and was just wondering... which is the primary concern- having your child learn the new topic/move to the next level or getting the credit for the course on the transcript? I ask because I've had to find alternative methods to satisfy my DS8's science cravings. His public school (k-5) doesn't offer much and doesn't have many resources, so he's been sitting in on some University courses (Astr.110 and Physics 100) for the past year. He's not getting credit, but he IS getting that thirst quenched!
    BTW, the paying students seem mostly to be proud of him, not confrontational. I think it's true that when there is such an age gap, there's less "turf" being stepped on. For ex.- my 8yr old is hardly going to be competition for the ladies!

Moderated by  M-Moderator, Mark D. 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM