Gifted Bulletin Board

Welcome to the Gifted Issues Discussion Forum.

We invite you to share your experiences and to post information about advocacy, research and other gifted education issues on this free public discussion forum.
CLICK HERE to Log In. Click here for the Board Rules.

Links

Learn about Davidson Academy Online - for profoundly gifted students living anywhere in the U.S. & Canada.

The Davidson Institute is a national nonprofit dedicated to supporting profoundly gifted students through the following programs:

• Fellows Scholarship
  • Young Scholars
  • Davidson Academy
  • THINK Summer Institute

• Subscribe to the Davidson Institute's eNews-Update Newsletter >

Free Gifted Resources & Guides >

Who's Online Now
    0 members (), 167 guests, and 10 robots.
    Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
    Newest Members
    parentologyco, Smartlady60, petercgeelan, eterpstra, Valib90
    11,410 Registered Users
    March
    S M T W T F S
    1 2
    3 4 5 6 7 8 9
    10 11 12 13 14 15 16
    17 18 19 20 21 22 23
    24 25 26 27 28 29 30
    Previous Thread
    Next Thread
    Print Thread
    Page 1 of 2 1 2
    W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I thought that I would combine the 2 posts and see if we can combine some useful info.

I posted in the other topic about Hunter. There is an 11th grader who needed radical acceleration but they were able to keep him grade at Hunter for peer socialization.

At the same time he had completed all the possible math curriculum at Columbia (for free), almost completed their physics. And I believe taking some courses at NYU.

This is an uber brilliant PG kid. And Hunter high school has allowed him the perfect fit for his age socialization and his need for radical acceleration. When he graduates Hunter he will probably be able to choose some post doctoral program at MIT or Caltech, just like Kit Armstrong is at the Sorbonne. And a sidenote, he is also a prodigy on the piano. It seems to go hand and in hand with these uber smart math kids.

Now my kid isn't like this with an IQ around 180 but those who may have interest, since there were some posters talking about radical acceleration for thier kids. I though posting about high schools that could accomodate that would be great. It seems like he has the best of both worlds.

Ren

D
    D
    Haddonfield Memorial in Haddonfield NJ has a program with Drexel.

http://www.haddonfield.k12.nj.us/Drexel/Drexel%20University%20-%20HMHS.htm

P
    P
    This may be a tough one since posters here are from so many different parts of the United States and of the world. Many of us do not have the ability to relocate due to our work, extended family, and the need to balance the conflicting needs of more than one child.

I'd love to see more options for gifted kids but I don't think we'll ever find one that is the "best of both worlds" for all kids because they have such different needs. It also seems to me that some of these distinctions between high school and college may be more symbolic than anything. If a student has taken all of the undergraduate math and physics available at Columbia wouldn't that more than fifty courses? That is quite a chunk of college.

These sorts of high school/early college programs can be great for some people. For students who don't have or don't want this option, we should remember there are many ways to interact with same age peers without a high school affiliation that includes activities such as sports, scouts, church, volunteering, orchestra, homeschool groups, chess clubs, etc.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I understand that relocating is not an option but someone might find out about an option that is relatively close without knowing about it.

As for undergraduate options, I understood that it was beyond undergrad. The father, a PhD in math and professor, claimed that it took him a week to sort through a problem in his son's homework, which takes the son minutes.

I had made a comment about the "system" and extraordinary students like this. The parents never opted for college, they realized they had someone really special when he entered Hunter at 7th grade.

Which begets another post. This was a Hunter elementary reject for not being gifted enough....he entered in 7th grade.

Ren

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    I was not clear. The school recognized this boy's abilities. The parents knew he was really smart but he was just too brilliant not to be not noticed.

Ren

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    He was able to make the decision himself once he entered Hunter at 7th grade. I am not saying the parents were against it. I am saying it was initiated by the "system" the school. The parents didn't go into Hunter and say this kid needs college. It was kind of obvious to the teachers. The parents were thinking the school is for the gifted, they will be able to accomdodate and they did. Send him to Columbia.

Ren

Val Offline
    Originally Posted by CFK
    Originally Posted by Wren
    The parents never opted for college, they realized they had someone really special when he entered Hunter at 7th grade.

Ren

I don't understand. If he has completed the Columbia math curricula than they have opted for college.

My impression of this idea is that "opting for college" means going there full-time, as opposed to taking classes there when you aren't taking high school classes.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Sorry for the confusion. The child and school opted for math courses at Columbia. The parents went along with it but they did not initiate. The school realized they didn't have anything to offer without the Columbia option.

Ren

Some of the 'governor's schools' in Virginia incorporate a college portion for jr. and sr. students; not quite 'radical', but a viable option for a broader group of kids who are nearly done with high school by grade 10.

W
    Wren Offline OP
    OP Offline
    W
    Since I did post this in the Canadian thread, U of Toronto has a great high school that starts in 7th grade. It is based on scores on the SSAT.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  M-Moderator 

Link Copied to Clipboard
    Recent Posts
    Testing with accommodations
    by aeh - 03/27/24 01:58 PM
    Quotations that resonate with gifted people
    by indigo - 03/27/24 12:38 PM
    For those interested in astronomy, eclipses...
    by indigo - 03/23/24 06:11 PM
    California Tries to Close the Gap in Math
    by thx1138 - 03/22/24 03:43 AM
    Gifted kids in Illinois. Recommendations?
    by indigo - 03/20/24 05:41 AM