Neato,
As I get ready to head out the door, let me assure you that there is no need for apology. I know exactly what you are talking about. We all either had or still know teachers exactly like the one described. For me it was fourth grade (ironic that is now what I teach) and a little of third. Fortunately, in fifth I had a wonderful teacher that made my light bulb come on a little brighter. She made me want to learn and probably had the most influence in my wanting to become a teacher.

You know this is almost ironic, too, because a dear friend called last night asking for advice for his fourth grade teacher daughter. Some parents apparently had complained to the principal and the teacher was ripped apart because of it. She was told how awful she was, with no advice. I think, partly because of reading all that you all have written, my advice was very quick to come.

The one thing that I commend all of you on is that it sounds like you always start with the teacher. THAT is the number one thing to me. It never gets passed on exactly by the principal, so I truly admire the parent coming to me first. I had an issue a few years ago that the order came from the superintendent to move the child. (It involved some family issues more than teaching issues, but it floored me!! My principal had asked me a question about the two girls earlier, but I knew little else and then I get a message from the super's office to move one of the girls. My choosing, but one was to be moved. Had the parent at least come to me that might have been a little easier. Here I am moving a student from my room and really have no clue about the dynamics. Fortunately, I had enough insight from listening to the girls between themselves that I made the right decision. I know that, because the other girl's dad later told me that had I made the other choice in the move, he would have been at the super's office.)

My point being, you all seem to make the teacher the FIRST contact. I appreciate that for my colleagues. I am not saying that you should not move to the other levels. In these situations the administration MUST know what is going on.

I also truly believe that the higher ability are the last group that WE consider. They are the ones that give us the least concern when it comes to the measurable consequences (STATE TESTS) of our jobs usually. That doesn't mean that it is right. With our new mandate here in Indiana, I know that my colleagues are getting worried. The announcement I made this week does have them thinking. We are currently on the chopping block for below state average passing scores on ISTEP+ so everyone is focused there. Then I announce the complexities of the new LAW for high ability. The first question, are you willing to go back there to teach because we aren't sure we can do ALL of this. (I am not sure we can either and it worries me.) However, THEY are not going to hire someone, UNFORTUNATELY, to help us at the top. (Forget how much help, albeit not working, that we have for remediation and special education.)

Must go see my hacking, snotty nosed class!!! Wonder how many will be absent today?