Thanks��I think your observations are making me think about this a little deeper.

He does need more challenging work. But there's more to it:

He also has a very strong desire/need for constant mental stimulation. With hitting/poking, I suspect he wants the stimulation of a reaction from the other child or the reaction of the teacher. He also loves to test, tinker and debate about the rules that are in place. That gives him mental stimulation.

At home, he listens to a lot of audio books. He he is generally always building something with knex or legos. Drawing, mazes, games, etc. We discuss whatever he's interested in - right now it's greek mythology. If I'm having troubles with him testing the rules that are in place, I make sure he knows that it's a rule. I shut down the argument as best as I can. And then I redirect him to some of this self-serve mental stimulation.

I'm not sure how to translate self-serve mental stimulation to transitions/waiting at school��I was hoping that he would come up with some sort of coping mechanism. Day dreaming. Writing stories in his head. Thinking about a book he's into. Something. (Anyone have ideas??)

He is also impulsive. But, I wonder if it's really strategic. If he wants to squeeze the whole tube of toothpaste out into the sink, he will. He knows he will get into trouble, but he still makes the choice. Basically, he thinks it's worth the penalty. But, he's not one to make an impulsive choice that would put himself in harms way (run out in the street, jump off of something very high, etc). And he's great at the sort of stuff that's supposed to help kids improve self control - like simon says, red light/green light. He will decide on his own to save a treat until the end of a meal. So at least in some aspects, he has control.

Impulsivity can be a developmental (he is 5 after all). But he is thinking about his actions and making decisions, so is it really impulsivity? Or just defiant decisions?

I'm sort of rambling and thinking as I go��any additional feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

-Sarah